[StBernard] Four years later, still no hospital in St. Bernard Parish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 27 07:25:29 EDT 2009

Four years later, still no hospital in St. Bernard Parish

10:04 PM CDT on Monday, October 26, 2009

Susan Edwards / Eyewitness News

sedwards at wwltv.com

CHALMETTE, La. -- It's been four years since the Chalmette Medical Center
that served St. Bernard Parish was consumed by Hurricane Katrina. Now the
property sits empty, and residents still have no permanent hospital.

"If you're in an emergency, you have to drive to the city or Slidell. It's
very rough," said Michael Retif. He waited at St. Bernard's temporary clinic
for several hours Monday afternoon.

"This place they help you out, but it takes a long time," he said. "It's
been so long already. Four years. I don't know why. It's crazy."

Parish leaders said the stall was due to a number of problems: misguided
leadership and a lack of focus in bringing a hospital back.

"Wee had a private hospital provider prior to the hurricane and they didn't
return, so this public hospital concept is new for St. Bernard Parish," said
George Cavignac, councilman for District B and vice chairman of the Hospital
Service District Commission.

But, he believes new developments in the last week have the project back on
track.

St. Bernard Parish leaders have asked for an additional $10 million in
funding from the Louisiana Recovery Authority, and say without it the
hospital complex project could be delayed even longer. The money would not
fund the hospital itself, but a medical office complex parish leaders say
must be in place to make the project successful.

"We basically begged them for the money and they basically gave us some warm
informal commitments to assist us to achieve the other $10 million we
desparately need for the medical office building," said Wayne Landry,
councilman at large-east and chairman of the Hospital Service District
Commission.

While there's been no firm pledge, LRA Director Paul Rainwater is committed
to finding the funds to make the hospital complex a reality.

"We know people won't come back unless they can get to an emergency room,
unless they have quality healthcare," he said.

"I think I have $5 million I can push forward in anticipation of flexibility
down the road, and possibly come up with the other $5 million next year
sometime. We have to be creative about it," said Rainwater.

Landry said the board is looking at two potential land sites for the
hospital.

This Wednesday, during a specially called board meeting, they will select a
management company to run the hospital.