[StBernard] President Craig Taffaro dishes out Rocky's favorite dishes to all

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 5 19:20:01 EST 2009

President Craig Taffaro dishes out Rocky's favorite dishes to all

Josie O'Brien was high bidder for a community service day

Josie Gioe O'Brien said she was amazed by the speed of St. Bernard Parish
President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr., as he served customers and fixed all the
favorite dishes at the Rocky and Carlo's Restaurant. And Taffaro was in the
kitchen of the long-time Chalmette eatery before it opened
its doors to the lunch crowd on Thursday helping to prepare all the
lunch dishes with O'Brien's mother, Leonarda "Nana" Gioe, one of the owners
of Rocky and Carlo's Restaurant and wife of Carlo Gioe.

O'Brien said she wanted to be the highest bidder for the day of community
service offered by President Taffaro at the Our Lady of Prompt Succor School
annual fundraiser dance so she could have him work with her mother Nana, as
she is widely known.

"I watched him... I didn't even see him stop to take a drink," O'Brien said
of Taffaro's volunteer stint as a cook and server on Thursday, November 5.
"Even though I have been in real estate for 30 years, I have done every job
in this restaurant. I have been a waitress; I have been a bar maid; I have
cooked. We used to come in at 1 in the morning to serve the night shift at
Kaiser. I know how hard the work is, and Craig did a really good job."

O'Brien, an OLPS alumni and a local Realtor with Prudential Gardner, said
she knew her mother would have a good time with President Taffaro.
"Nana" can always be seen at Rocky's often cooking lasagna, red gravy and
other Italian dishes. Both daughter and mother are parishioners at OLPS
Church as well.

###