[StBernard] La. Gov. declares emergency ahead of hurricane Ida

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 9 08:13:07 EST 2009

La. Gov. declares emergency ahead of hurricane Ida
By BECKY BOHRER (AP) - 15 hours ago

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Ida, the first Atlantic hurricane to target the
United States this year, plodded Sunday toward the Gulf Coast with 100 mph
winds, bringing the threat of flooding and storm surges.

A hurricane watch extended over more than 200 miles of coastline across
southeastern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle.
Louisiana's governor declared a state of emergency.

Authorities said Ida could make landfall as early as Tuesday morning,
although it was forecast to weaken by then. Officials and residents kept a
close eye on the Category 2 hurricane as it approached, though there were no
immediate plans for evacuations.

At 1 p.m. EST, Ida was located 510 miles south-southeast of the mouth of the
Mississippi River and moving northwest near 10 mph. The latest forecast from
the National Hurricane Center shows Ida brushing near Louisiana and
Mississippi, then making landfall near Alabama before continuing across
north Florida.

Yet many residents took the forecast in stride.

"Even though we're telling everybody to be prepared, my gut tells me it
probably won't be that bad," said Steve Arndt, director of Bay Point Marina
Co. in Panama City, Fla.

In Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal had declared a state of emergency as a
precaution, and the National Guard was on high alert if assistance was
needed. New Orleans wasn't included in the hurricane watch.

But officials were encouraging residents to prepare for potential gusts of
60 mph by removing any tree limbs that could damage their homes and securing
or bringing in any trash cans, grills, potted plants or patio furniture.

Nearly 1,400 Louisiana residents are still living in federally issued
trailers and mobile homes after hurricanes Katrina and Rita; nearly 360
units remained in Mississippi.

"FEMA stresses that those in temporary (housing) units should not take
chances," Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman Andrew Thomas said.
"Leave the unit behind and evacuate to a permanent structure that will
better withstand tropical weather systems and the associated winds."

Mississippi authorities warned residents to be vigilant. Authorities were
monitoring conditions to see whether any evacuations of lower-lying areas or
school closures would be necessary.

"It is likely we will at least be hit with strong winds and some flooding in
our coastal counties," said Jeff Rent, a spokesman for the Mississippi
Emergency Management Agency. Officials "do not want anybody to be caught off
guard."

Mississippi Emergency Management Agency Director Mike Womack said forecasts
called for tides of 4-7 feet above normal and rainfall totals of 5-7 inches
within 24 hours, which could mean flooding along the coasts and along
rivers.

Alabama emergency management officials did not immediately respond to phone
messages.

In the Florida Panhandle, residents in Bay County and Panama City were being
advised to secure boats and prepare for storm surges that could reach 2-3
feet. Heavy rain, wind and possible flooding was also expected.

"You really don't know until it gets close how you're going to be affected
by it," said Brad Monroe, Bay County's deputy chief of emergency services.

Ida wasn't expected to pack the wallop seen in 2008 when hurricanes Gustav
and Ike pelted the Gulf Coast back-to-back. There have been nine named
storms this season, which ends Dec. 1. Ida is only the third hurricane to
form, and neither of the others threatened land.

Ida wasn't expected to directly threaten New Orleans, where unflappable fans
at the Saints football game seemed unaware a storm was approaching.

"We're used to tropical storms," said David Clements of Chalmette, La.
"That's why we have a dome."

Earlier Sunday, Ida's wind and rain whipped palm trees in the Mexican resort
city of Cancun. Fishermen tied their boats down, though tourists seemed to
regard it as a minor setback.

"It's not what we expected," said Kathleen Weisser, a nurse from Fernley,
Nev. "We wanted sun. Instead we have liquid sunshine."

Ron Kaczorowski, of Chicago, said his daughter was forced to move her beach
wedding inside because of the storm. He said he had tried to reassure his
disappointed daughter that the nasty weather would make her wedding stand
out.

"I told her, 'How many people get married in a hurricane?'"

Associated Press writers Suzette Laboy in Miami and Catherine E. Shoichet in
Cancun contributed to this story.