[StBernard] A Message from Congressman Charlie Melancon

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 13 22:19:11 EST 2009

I love the fact that Melancon still has me at the Chalmette address that I
haven't lived in since Katrina.
-----------------------------

November 13, 2009

Mr. Westley and Erica Annis

3104 Mumphrey Rd

Chalmette, LA 70043-3735

Dear Mr. Annis:

Thank you for writing to me in opposition to H.R. 3692, the "Affordable
Health Care for America Act of 2009." I appreciate hearing from you on this
very important issue. Although I believe that improvements need to be made
to our nation's health care system, I voted against this health reform
legislation when it was passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on
November 7, 2009.

I was unable to support H.R. 3692 because I remain concerned about how the
bill will affect individuals and small businesses in Louisiana. I believe
we should first focus on insurance market reforms that will control costs,
increase value, and improve access for Louisianians.

As a fiscally conservative Blue Dog Democrat, I am also concerned about the
long-term costs of this bill for the American taxpayer. The skyrocketing
cost of health care is bankrupting Medicare and Medicaid, leading this
country down a path to fiscal disaster. A fundamental goal of reform must
be to bring down the growing cost of health care. We need to get health care
spending under control, or we will never dig ourselves out of this mountain
of debt our country is under. It is imperative that we create more
efficiencies and savings within the current health care system.

Additionally, I am concerned that H.R. 3692 does not address the urgent need
for more providers in rural communities. Medicare and Medicaid
reimbursement rates are lower in rural communities than in cities, and as a
result, we have seen a steady decline in the number of doctors, dentists,
and other health care professionals in communities like those I represent in
south Louisiana. My hometown of Napoleonville has only one doctor still
practicing, and when he retires there might not be anyone to take his place.
For rural America to stay healthy, we must reverse this trend and provide
strong incentives for health care providers to serve rural communities.

There are several provisions in H.R. 3692 that I think make sense. This
legislation would cap out-of-pocket expenses, so a major illness does not
drive you and your family into bankruptcy. It would ban insurance companies
from using pre-existing conditions to deny you coverage. It would eliminate
the coverage gap in the Medicare prescription drug plan, so seniors have the
peace of mind that they will be able to afford the medicine they need to
stay healthy.

I was also pleased to see that the House adopted the Stupak-Pitts amendment
to the legislation, which would ensure that no tax-payer funding would be
used for abortion services. As a pro-life Member, I supported this amendment
during the Committee process and again on the House floor. Protecting the
unborn is a top priority of mine, and I am pleased that this was changed
prior to House passage.

Even though there are portions of H.R. 3692 that I support, overall I
believe the House bill does not work for Louisiana. I can only support
health care reform that will lower costs for Louisiana families and
businesses, increase the quality of care provided, and improve access to
coverage and care for every Louisiana citizen. Many Louisianians are happy
with their current health care and do not want to lose it, but they still
believe that some things could be improved. Although they have good
insurance, their premiums and deductibles are going up every year. They are
worried that if they or someone in their family comes down with a major
illness, they will not be able to afford the out-of-pocket expenses and the
debt will pile up. They are also worried that if they change jobs, they may
lose their insurance, or they will not be able to get insurance because of a
pre-existing condition. All of us are paying more and getting less, and that
needs to change.

Health care reform needs to provide stable coverage you can count on,
coverage that can not be taken away through life's ups and downs. Health
reform proposals also need to control costs, so rising premiums and
out-of-pocket expenses do not eat away at your paycheck and put coverage out
of reach. Most importantly, we need health care reform that protects
individual choice and maintains competition within the marketplace, so every
person can get the quality treatment they need, when they need it, and from
the doctor they choose.

Although the U.S. House of Representatives has passed its version of health
reform, Congress has much work to do before a bill is signed into law. I am
hopeful that bipartisan legislation will emerge that ensures choice in the
insurance market, strong protections for the unborn, and will reign in
federal spending. We need reform that lasts not just for the next five or
ten years but for generations to come, while protecting the values we as
Louisianians hold dear.

In closing, let me say that serving as your representative in Congress is a
great privilege, and I will keep fighting every day for south Louisiana's
needs. Please don't hesitate to call my office in Washington, or one of my
four offices in Louisiana, if there is anything I can help you with or if
you want to share your opinion on upcoming issues in Congress. You can also
visit my website at www.melancon.house.gov <http://www.melancon.house.gov/>
to send me an email or learn more about my voting record and positions on
the issues that matter most to you. As your representative in Washington, I
take your viewpoints and suggestions very seriously and look forward to
hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Charlie Melancon

Member of Congress