[StBernard] This week: Oysters, Pelicans & Veterans

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 13 22:48:49 EST 2009

Dear Friend,

This has been a tremendous week for the people of Louisiana. Read on
to learn more about the return of our state bird, the Brown Pelican, and
about the FDA's decision to put on hold a proposed rule that would have
wiped out an important Louisiana industry. And please, take a moment to
thank a veteran for their service and sacrifice.

Landrieu Gets FDA to Halt Proposed Oyster Ban

Today, the FDA announced that it was dropping plans to implement a ban on
raw Gulf Coast oysters
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00050025.5075.80&gen=1&mailing_linkid=4311> sold between August and
October. Earlier this week, Sen. Landrieu joined Congressman Charlie
Melancon in hosting a meeting with lawmakers from surrounding Gulf Coast
states and Food and Drug Administration officials
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00050025.5075.80&gen=1&mailing_linkid=4312> to lobby against the
regulation, which would have jeopardized more than 3,500 jobs in Louisiana.
Following the roundtable, Sen. Landrieu, Rep. Melancon, Sen. Vitter, and
several Louisiana oystermen held a press conference to discuss the
disastrous effect that the proposed restriction would have on Louisiana's
economy. Sen. Landrieu said the proposal was akin to "trying to kill a
nutria with a nuclear bomb
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00050025.5075.80&gen=1&mailing_linkid=4313> ."

To watch remarks from the press conference, click here
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00050025.5075.80&gen=1&mailing_linkid=4314> .

Brown Pelican Makes A Comeback

This week, Sen. Landrieu also had the pleasure of joining officials from the
Department of the Interior on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain to announce
that the Brown Pelican, the Louisiana state bird, is being removed from the
endangered species list
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00050025.5075.80&gen=1&mailing_linkid=4315> . The bird, which was added to
the list in 1970, has made a comeback, due in large part to habitat
restoration efforts, and a ban on the pesticide DDT. While praising the
bird's return, Sen. Landrieu reiterated the need to address coastal erosion
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00050025.5075.80&gen=1&mailing_linkid=4316> , noting that the coastal
landscape the bird uses in Louisiana is disappearing.

Sen. Landrieu Honors Veterans

On Wednesday, Sen. Landrieu took time to honor our service men and women for
their tireless and selfless service to our nation. Sen. Landrieu also
reinforced the need to provide support for our troops
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00050025.5075.80&gen=1&mailing_linkid=4310> returning from the Middle East,
saying: "We can never truly repay our veterans for their courageous and
honorable service. But, we can honor them by increasing our state and
federal budgets to ensure our men and women in uniform have the resources
they need and so richly deserve when they return from the frontlines. That's
why I am continuing to work to improve health care, housing and child care
for America's veterans."