[StBernard] Out-of-control lawns targeted by St. Bernard council

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 18 22:22:51 EST 2009

Out-of-control lawns targeted by St. Bernard council
By Chris Kirkham, The Times-Picayune
November 18, 2009, 6:01AM

The St. Bernard Parish Council approved heftier enforcement of lawn-mowing
regulations. In an effort to address the widespread problem of unkempt lawns
across the parish, the St. Bernard Parish Council on Tuesday night stiffened
the penalties for property owners who fail to keep their grass mown to
parish guidelines.

Many returning St. Bernard residents have contended with nearby homes or
lots that have been neglected, attracting snakes and rodents into some
subdivisions, supporters of the ordinance said. In one blighted section of
Chalmette known as Village Square, some lots have remained untouched since
Hurricane Katrina, leaving a 10-foot-high forest of tangled weeds.

The Parish Council's new ordinance affects property owners who allow grass
to grow higher than 8 inches. If a property owner does not cut grass within
10 days of being notified by parish government, parish crews are authorized
to cut the grass and bill the owner immediately.

If the owner doesn't pay, the matter is forwarded to the 34th Judicial
District, where a judge could seek sanctions including a garnishment of
wages, a lien on the property, suspension of utilities permits or a $500
additional management fee.

"I think everybody wants to see this enforced, and I think everybody's going
to put forth some good effort in making sure we keep people compliant,"
Councilman Wayne Landry said. "We're living in a recovery mode when we
should be way past that."

The additional penalties in the ordinance will continue through March 2012.
The ordinance gives the parish attorney more latitude to seek judicial
sanctions against property owners than current laws.

The parish is also authorized to erect a 2-by-3-foot sign on the property
"in the largest font to fit the entire sign" that reads "This property is
managed by St. Bernard Parish Government due to non-compliance by owner."
And as the law is written, the parish administration has no discretion to
pursue certain property owners over others or to reduce penalties. "Only
councilmanic action may decrease any fines generated as a result of
violation of this ordinance," the law reads.

Arabi resident Floyd Saucier said he hoped the ordinance would address a
neglected lot next door to his that has remained uncut despite numerous
calls to parish government. Like many code enforcement issues, he said he'll
wait to see if strong enforcement follows strong words on a page.

"It's been reported more than once, and it's been ignored," Saucier said
after Tuesday's meeting. "They talk the talk, but they don't do the
walking."

Chris Kirkham can be reached at ckirkham at timespicayune.com or 504.826.3321