[StBernard] MRGO Decision

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 28 13:44:17 EST 2009

The day we’ve been working for has finally come! Judge Duval has rendered his decision in the case of Robinson, et al v. United States Army Corps of Engineers. I’ve attached it to this email in case you would like to read it. He found that the Corps of Engineers was liable for the destruction caused by the MRGO during and after Hurricane Katrina. He awarded money to the plaintiffs who were from St. Bernard Parish and the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans. The bad news is that although he did find the Corps was responsible for the damages in New Orleans East, they were immune under federal law from their liability. John and the other lawyers will be going to Washington, DC to urge a settlement of this matter for ALL OF THE PEOPLE OF NEW ORLEANS AND ST. BERNARD PARISH. Although legally the Corps was immune regarding the areas of New Orleans East, mid-city, Lakeview, etc., we want our government to do the right thing by all of the people, not just St. Bernard and the Lower Ninth Ward. Our government has done this before for other areas of the country who were affected by Corps of Engineers “mistakes” and the residents of New Orleans and St. Bernard should not be treated any differently. This is a major victory for us and we should all be very happy. However, it is by no means over yet. We just left a press conference and hopefully many of you will be able to catch it on the news. If they show the whole thing on tv, it will answer many of your questions.

Since all of this is so new, I do not yet know how the claims process will work, when it will begin, what the immediate next step is, etc. However, the main thing is that as long as your Form 95 was filed before August 29, 2007, you will have a valid claim. I hope you all can understand my request that you do not call our office. We are so overwhelmed by phone calls that our phone system cannot handle it. As soon as we have definite information to pass on, we will do so by mail or email.

We are very thankful to all of you for allowing us to represent you in this historic matter. There is nothing that anyone needs to do right now. However, you may all want to get all of your receipts in order to prove the value of what you lost, as best as you can, because there will come a day when you will have to justify the amounts of your claims. Other than that, call your US Representatives and Senators and urge them to DO THE RIGHT THING BY THEIR FELLOW CITIZENS. You all deserve to be compensated for what you lost.

Gwen L. Hassan

Legal Assistant to

Jonathan B. Andry, Esq.