[StBernard] St. Bernard police arrest suspects in parish-wide drug sting

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 10 22:25:59 EST 2009

St. Bernard police arrest suspects in parish-wide drug sting

by Jill Hezeau and Michael Luke / Eyewitness News

Posted on December 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Updated today at 12:29 PM

ST. BERNARD, La. - In the early morning hours Thursday, narcotics agents
began rounding up suspects wanted by St. Bernard police as part of the
culmination of a year-long undercover drug operation that targeted
street-level drug dealers.

Deputies from the Special Investigations Division identified 26 men and two
women, from 17- to 53-years-old, during the course of the investigation in
Meraux, Chalmette and Violet, selling mostly crack cocaine and some heroin.

By 12 p.m., narcotic agents had arrested 18 suspects. The suspects were
captured on video selling narcotics, according to police.

The offensive by the St. Bernard Sheriff's Office is aimed at stopping
violence that often accompanies drug sales.

"I think we need the people to cooperate," said Col. Chad Clark. "Without
the eyes and ears of citizens of St. Bernard, we'd have a little bit of
trouble, but we're getting plenty of cooperation and we're successful."

Officials said that many of the suspects are repeat offenders and the sting
is making a dent in drug trafficking in the parish. Most of the offenses
that suspects are wanted for carry sentences ranging from five to 30 years.

With assistance of State Police and DEA and ATF agents, St. Bernard
officials said they have made 1000 narcotics arrests this year.