[StBernard] Bringing Relief to our Coastal and Agricultural Communities

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 17 21:56:43 EST 2009

Dear Friends,

I traveled to Houma last week to announce that the state has now committed
more than $250 million towards the Morganza to the Gulf project, and to call
on the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to match our commitment and begin
building the system. The funds committed will allow the first lift of
three-fourths of the system to be built, but the Corps has for some reason
decided to carry out another study through 2012. This is unacceptable, and
we are taking steps, including notifying Congress, to expedite work in the
area to protect our property and our people.

We also took the opportunity to announce that three additional restoration
projects have been completed, including the Lake Mechant project, which
represents the largest project in Terrebonne Parish history, and the Bird
Island II Reef and Point Mast Reef projects. We also highlighted three
upcoming projects in the area. As the Houma Courier
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c917%7c9390&digest
=F8xKoAOk278tumbqoAi35w> wrote, these steps show "great promise for the
things to come for our vulnerable communities."

I also visited Monroe to announce more than $54 million in Community
Development Block Grant funding for our states' farmers and agribusinesses
that were affected by Hurricanes Gustav and Ike last year. As the Monroe
News-Star
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c918%7c9390&digest
=F7o5wkH86OA5AQlvMTHpjA> reported, "It's the first time in history that
CDBG money was used to help farmers and ranchers."

Gustav was the worst agricultural disaster in our state's history, and the
agricultural damage from the two hurricanes plus Tropical Storm Faye
approached $1 billion. We stand firm in our commitment to supporting our
agricultural industry, which serves as the backbone of our state's economy
and an important component of the national economy as well.

Many people across the country continue to take notice of the positive steps
we are taking here in Louisiana. The New York Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c919%7c9390&digest
=uQssAQ3R6LNBPvV5C2mdWw> recently reported on our "historic package of
financial disclosure laws" that raised a component of our ethics' rankings
from 44th in the nation to 1st. And following last week's news that one of
our state's dropout prevention programs received a national award for
outstanding performance, this week we also received some national
recognition of our efforts to tie teacher performance to student
performance. As this Washington Post
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c910%7c9390&digest
=gJBWj3OgO67GGYKGvHcR9g> story says, "Louisiana serves as model in teacher
assessment" techniques.

I also visited Tallulah as part of the Louisiana Working Tour this past
week. As the Monroe News-Star
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c911%7c9390&digest
=STpB1av8p0%2bzHGPIVjPeHg> wrote, many "Louisiana-based companies are
showing surprising growth" despite the national economic downturn, and I
look forward to meeting many more Louisianians in the coming weeks as we
make more stops on the Louisiana Working Tour.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal