[StBernard] eupdate 12 18 09

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 18 22:35:48 EST 2009

e-update
12.18.09

As we near the end of 2009, the debate over health care continues, and this
month I offered several amendments to the Senate health care bill. I
co-sponsored an amendment with Sen. Byron Dorgan to help bring cheaper
prescription drugs to Americans, and I also joined a bipartisan group of
senators on a measure designed to continue the federal prohibition against
using taxpayer dollars to pay for abortions.

Last week I also joined Sens. Thune and Bennett in speaking out against our
growing national debt and calling for an end to the bailout programs that
have already cost our nation so much money with so very little to show for
it.

Below you can read about these and other issues I'm working on, and you can
watch a recent interview with Fox News regarding my push for members of
Congress to join any government-run health care plan they create.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

OFFERING ALTERNATIVES TO HIGH-PRICED PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a9aeaded-b5f7-8c3f-0327-de8ee0e2879b&Region_id=&Issue_id=

As the Senate continues to debate a massive and sweeping health care bill,
I continue to push instead for alternatives that would bring about real
change for so many Americans. One way we can help make health care more
affordable is by reducing the cost of prescription drugs. This week I went
to the Senate floor to urge support of a reimportation amendment that I
co-sponsored with Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-ND). You can read more about the
amendment here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=9455fedf-b22e-7175-9f3a-c0ed2585965b&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> .

PROTECTING THE SANCTITY OF HUMAN LIFE
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a5c7bfc8-911e-9383-e487-9677914c8615&Region_id=&Issue_id=

The preservation of life is an issue of profound importance to millions of
Americans. And I strongly believe that taxpayers should not be forced to
pay for abortions. That's why I joined a bipartisan group of senators on
an amendment to the Senate health care bill that would continue the current
federal standard prohibiting taxpayer funding for abortion. You can read
my more about this important amendment here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=70346e6f-904c-95b2-b73d-4c7b198d5071&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> .

CALLING FOR AN END TO THE BAILOUTS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

As government spending continues to skyrocket and our national debt
continues to grow, I joined Sens. Thune and Bennett to reiterate my support
for terminating the bailout program to prevent the Treasury Department from
spending additional funds that would add to the ballooning national debt.
You can read my statement on ending the bailouts here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=75138424-da8a-a1ac-c985-dbf97a52594d&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> on my website.

ENSURING THAT MEMBERS OF CONGRESS ARE TREATED THE SAME AS ALL AMERICANS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

Earlier this month, I offered an amendment to the health care bill that
would require all members of Congress to enroll themselves in the same
government-run health care plan created as part of this sweeping
legislation. Any government health care plan passed by Congress should
also apply to the members that passed it. Last week, I appeared on Fox
News to discuss the amendment and you can see my interview here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&Video
_id=6f6b8924-c6b5-e753-a70e-71f4fb836288&PageNum=1> .