[StBernard] Robbers steal Christmas presents for needy children from Violet church

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Dec 21 21:29:30 EST 2009

Robbers steal Christmas presents for needy children from Violet church

By Kim Chatelain, The Times-Picayune
December 21, 2009, 12:37PM

About 60 Christmas presents donated by members of Our Lady of Lourdes
Catholic Church in Violet were stolen after robbers broke into the church
early Sunday by throwing a cement block through a window, church officials
said.

Pastor John Arnone said the gifts, which were wrapped and placed near the
foot of a cross, were opened by the robbers inside the church before being
taken away. The wrapping paper remained piled around the altar Monday, he
said.

He said church goers who arrived for Mass Sunday morning were in tears when
they saw what had happened.

The robbers attempted to break into several lockers, but did not break
religious statues or other artifacts in the new church, which was destroyed
by Katrina and rededicated about a month ago, officials said.

Arnone said church members had collected names of needy children from
throughout the St. Bernard area and written the names on the backs of paper
angels, which were placed on the Christmas tree in the church. Parishoners
picked an angel from the tree and brought in a gift for the child whose name
was on the angel. The children are between 7 months and 13 years old, he
said.

The gifts were to be distributed to the children tonight.

Arnone said several local organizations, including Catholic Charities, the
Salvation Army and the Knights of Columbus has stepped foward to help
collect and buy gifts to replace those that were stolen.

The local Chamber of Commerce also is involved and is seeking cash donations
that can be used to purchase replacement gifts. Donations can be dropped off
at St. Bernard Church, 2805 Bayou Road in Kenilworth.

This has got to be the lowest of the low. I hope they catch the #%^#@%$^@'s
that did this and my God have mercy on them

because I don't think it will be possible for us to do so.

JY