[StBernard] Ground Breaking on St. Bernard Public Works Yard held Monday

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Dec 28 20:35:38 EST 2009

Ground Breaking on St. Bernard Parish Public Works Yard held Monday

$1,880,000 project to consolidate five buildings destroyed by Katrina

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. and St. Bernard Parish
Council members held a ground breaking Monday, Dec. 28 at the Public Works
Yard to mark the beginning of construction of a brand new $1,885,000
facility that will consolidate the functions of five buildings irreparably
damaged by Katrina.

"This building will allow us to house our entire public works road and grass
crews at one site to improve the operation," President Taffaro said. "This
ground breaking caps a banner year where we celebrated more than two dozen
ground breakings for our major projects, and it continues the work of this
term which includes more than 250 recovery projects let and underway since
January 2008."

The Public Works Yard structure will house all of the crews whose workers
are responsible for road repairs, fixing pot holes, keeping grass cut at
parish facilities and on neutral grounds as well as debris management. The
building located at 120 Agriculture Road in Chalmette will be completed in
July 2010, using funds from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

JaRoy Construction, Inc. is in charge of construction. Krebs, LaSalle,
LeMieux and Perez, APC are working jointly to design the facility. The St.
Bernard Department of Public Works Project Manager and Resident Inspector is
Keith LaGrange, and the project manager for Camp Dresser and McKee, which
oversees all of St. Bernard's FEMA-funded projects, is Drayfus N. Guient.

For more information about the Growth and Recovery in St. Bernard Parish,
visit our website at www.sbpg.net <http://www.sbpg.net/> .

###