[StBernard] LA GOP RELEASE: Governor Jindal: Our #1 Mission Is Jobs

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 31 09:28:29 EST 2009

In Case You Missed It...
Governor Jindal: Our #1 Mission Is Jobs

Baton Rouge Business Report
By Governor Bobby Jindal
December 29, 2009

"When I took office, I said we would work together to create a New Louisiana – a place where our children can get a great education, pursue rewarding careers and raise their kids right here at home. Instead of Louisiana losing its young people to Texas and Georgia each year, we would become the state where not only our own businesses expand and create jobs, but others come here seeking opportunities as well. Over the last two years we have made tremendous progress on that critical top mission of fostering greater economic growth to create jobs.

Continuing the trend we began in 2008, Louisiana’s economy once again outperformed the South and the nation in 2009. Louisiana’s unemployment rate has remained well below the Southern and the national rates since the beginning of the national recession. In November, Louisiana’s unemployment rate was 6.7 percent – the second lowest in the South and the ninth lowest in the nation.

Additionally, recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau shows that Louisiana experienced its third consecutive year of more people moving into the state than moving out. This follows more than two decades of outmigration…

Louisiana continues attracting new business investments and expanding existing companies even in this challenging national economy…

Since taking office, we have secured economic development wins that will create more than 34,500 direct and indirect jobs, retain more than 15,500 jobs, generate at least $4.6 billion in new investment, and result in billions of dollars in new sales for small businesses…

The bottom line is that our aggressive focus on improving our economic climate by keeping taxes low, reducing spending and reforming our workforce development system is working to expand businesses and create jobs. The nation is now taking notice. Louisiana is moving up in national rankings, more people are moving into our state, and most importantly, we are creating jobs. As we continue our work in 2010, our focus will not waver from our number one mission of protecting and promoting our economy so every Louisianian can pursue their dreams right here at home."

Click Here To Read The Full Article In The Baton Rouge Business Report <http://lagop.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=81f80dfae08a15f3629eabdeb&id=13a6c01f8a&e=6a30004df9>