[StBernard] ONE YEAR IN: SACRIFICING OUR PRINCIPLES & OUR SECURITY

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 13 15:45:37 EST 2010

ONE YEAR IN: SACRIFICING OUR PRINCIPLES & OUR SECURITY
On World Stage, Obama Surrendered American Ideals, Abandoned Our Allies, And
Ignored Growing Threats To Our National Security
__________ ______________________________________________________________

View This Research Briefing At GOP.com
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7449>

IN 2009, OBAMA TRAVELED THE WORLD APOLOGIZING FOR AMERICAN IDEALS ...

President Obama Abandoned Traditional American Leadership By Telling Europe
"I Believe In American Exceptionalism, Just As I Suspect That The Brits
Believe In British Exceptionalism And The Greeks Believe In Greek
Exceptionalism." (President Obama, News Conference By President Obama, Press
Release <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7458> ,
Strasbourg, France, 4/4/09)

Obama Apologized To Latin America For U.S. Being "Disengaged." "While the
United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the
hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to
dictate our terms." (President Barack Obama, "Remarks By The President At
The Summit Of The Americas Opening Ceremony," The White House
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7448> , 4/17/09)

Obama Apologized To Europe For American "Arrogance." "Instead of celebrating
your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common
challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been
dismissive, even derisive ..." (President Barack Obama, "Remarks By
President Obama At Strasbourg Town Hall," The White House
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7460> , 4/3/09)

Obama Apologized To Muslim Nations For Actions "Contrary To Our Traditions
And Our Ideals" After September 11th. "Nine-eleven was an enormous trauma to
our country. The fear and anger that it provoked was understandable, but in
some cases, it led us to act contrary to our traditions and our ideals. We
are taking concrete actions to change course." (President Barack Obama,
Remarks By The President On A New Beginning, Cairo, Egypt
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7441> , 6/4/09)

And Blamed America For Global Economic Crisis. "It is true ... that the
(economic) crisis began in the U.S. I take responsibility, even if I wasn't
even president at the time." (Marc Hujer, "Obama's G-20 Confession," Der
Spiegel <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7444> , 4/6/09)

WHILE IGNORING OUR ALLIES AND COMFORTING OUR ENEMIES

Obama Extended Olive Branch To Adversaries While Publically Confronting
Strong Allie Israel. "The new administration has pushed a reset button with
Russia and sent new ambassadors to Syria and Venezuela; it has offered olive
branches to Cuba and Burma. But for nearly three months it has been locked
in a public confrontation with Israel over Jewish housing construction in
Jerusalem and the West Bank. To a less visible extent, the two governments
also have differed over policy toward Iran." (Editorial, "Tough On Israel,"
The Washington Post <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7462>
, 7/30/09)

And Spent More Diplomatic Effort "Warning" Israel Than "Rallying The World
To Stop Iran." "[I]n its first seven months, the Administration has spent
more diplomatic effort warning Israel not to strike than it has rallying the
world to stop Iran." (Editorial, "Israel, Iran And Obama," The Wall Street
Journal <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7450> , 8/31/09)

* Obama Contributed To "Biggest Strains In A Decade" Between Israel
And America. "Relations between Washington and close ally Israel are under
the biggest strains in a decade." (Matt Spetalnick and Jeffrey Heller,
"Hopes Low For Obama-Led Mideast Summit In New York," Reuters
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7456> , 9/22/09)

Eastern European Allies Brushed Aside By Obama To Appease Russia. "The U.S.
decision to back out of the missile shield agreement forged by the Bush
administration -- and opposed by Russia -- has evoked memories among Poles
of Cold War helplessness, of being brushed aside as casualties of great
power politics ... In Poland and in other nations that were part of the old
Soviet bloc, the U.S. announcement played into a historical sense of
uncertainty. Warsaw's political elite spoke of a visceral fear that the
Obama administration is willing to sacrifice central Europe in its eagerness
to repair badly damaged relations with Russia." (Megan K. Stack, "U.S. Move
On Missile Shield Rankles Poland," The Chicago Tribune
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7464> , 10/6/09)

Continuing Obama's "Trend Of Courting Adversaries While Smacking Allies."
"His Administration has sought warmer ties with Iran, Burma, North Korea,
Russia and even Venezuela. But it has picked trade fights with Canada and
Mexico, sat on trade treaties with Colombia and South Korea, battled Israel
over West Bank settlements, ignored Japan in deciding to talk with North
Korea, and sanctioned Honduras for its sin of resisting the encroachments of
Venezuela's Hugo Chavez." (Editorial, "Obama's Missile Offense," The Wall
Street Journal <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7451> ,
9/18/09)

Obama's Engagement Policy Strengthened "Authoritarian Regimes." "[T]he 'axis
of engagement' states that President Obama sought to butter up
diplomatically in his first year in office. The authoritarian regimes in
Russia, Venezuela, Iran and China all became more repressive in 2009,
according to Freedom House measures. America's attempts to play nice didn't
make the other side any nicer ..." (Editorial, "Democracy's Wane," The Wall
Street Journal <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7459> ,
1/12/10)

OBAMA SENT MIXED SIGNALS BY CUTTING IMPORTANT NATIONAL SECURITY TOOLS
AND DITHERING ON TROOP REQUESTS ...

Obama Held Marathon Of 8 Meetings With National Security Team Before Making
Decision On Afghan Strategy. "President Obama met Wednesday with his
national security team, the latest in his series of meetings on the best way
forward in Afghanistan and Pakistan ... This is the eighth in the series of
meetings Mr. Obama has had on drafting a new strategy in the turbulent
region ..." (Mark Knoller, "Obama Talks Afghanistan With National Security
Team," CBS News <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7447> ,
11/11/09)

Afghan Delay "Accomplished Little Except Hand The Initiative To The Enemy."
"On Afghanistan, far from being clever, his faint-hearted attempt to talk
round Congress, manage his squabbling officials and twist the arm of Hamid
Karzai, the vote-rigging Afghan president, has arguably accomplished little
except hand the initiative to the enemy: his generals have an uphill
struggle." ("The Quiet American," The Economist
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7465> , 11/26/09)

* European Leaders Grew Frustrated With Obama's Lack Of Leadership.
"Afghanistan and Pakistan are being shaken by attacks, and the Taliban is
dictating the course of the war. US President Obama has been silent about
the situation for far too long and European countries like Germany and
France are correct to demand better American leadership on the issue of
Afghanistan." (Claus Christian Malzahn, Editorial, "We're Waiting, Mr.
President," Spiegel Online, 10/29/09)
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7446>

And Requested Major Cuts In Missile Defense Spending. "President Obama's
FY10 budget request includes $9.3 billion for missile defense programs -- an
amount that, Republicans are quick to point out, is $1.2 billion below FY09
levels. "I can't conceive of cutting missile defense when you've got [North]
Korea shooting off missiles," McKeon said. "It's ludicrous to me" (Megan
Scully, "Republicans To Oppose Missile Defense Cuts In Authorization
Markup", Congress Daily, 6/15/2009)

* Clinton Secretary Of Defense William Cohen: Cutting Missile Defense
"Sends The Signal That We Do Not Take The Threats Of Rogue Regimes
Seriously..." "Reducing the funding commitment to our missile-defense system
by $1.4 billion, as the Obama administration has done, sends the signal that
we do not take the threats of rogue regimes seriously ... Cutting
missile-defense funding at this critical juncture sends the wrong signal to
both our adversaries and our allies. It would embolden North Korea, Iran and
other rogue states to pursue missiles of increasing range." (William
Cohen,Op-Ed, "COHEN: No Time To Cut Missile Defense," The Washington Times
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7440> , 5/28/09)

FAILS TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO FIGHT AMERICA'S WAR ON TERROR,
TREATING ENEMY COMBATANTS AS COMMON CRIMINALS ...

Obama Administration Sees War On Terror Through Law Enforcement Mentality.
"More broadly, the Administration's law enforcement mentality is also part
of the problem. Its instinct is to attribute every terror incident to a
misguided individual--"an isolated extremist," as the President initially
said of Abdulmuttalab--as if al Qaeda sympathies require a membership card
and monthly meetings. Hasan and Abdulmuttalab are charged with being
jihadists bent on murder who were encouraged or facilitated by other
jihadists. This is the way the terror threat is evolving, with virtual
recruitment over the Web of radicalized individuals from sanctuaries that
change as opportunities arise." (Editorial, "Obama's Security 'Breach'," The
Wall Street Journal <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7454>
, 12/31/09)

Obama's Insistence On Civilian Trials For Terrorists Provide Valuable
Information To "Terrorists Across The World." "One certain outcome is that
an open civilian trial will provide valuable information to terrorists
across the world about American methods and intelligence. Precisely because
so much other evidence may not be admissable, prosecutors may have to reveal
genuine secrets to get a conviction." (Editorial, "KSM Hits
Manhattan--Again," The Wall Street Journal
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7442> , 11/14/09)

Decision To Put Christmas Day Attempted Bomber In "Civilian Tribunal" Denied
U.S. Intelligence Agencies Valuable Information. "Abdulmutallab was ... in a
civilian tribunal where the first step was to get him a lawyer who promptly
put an end to his disclosures ... The point is less where Abdulmutallab will
eventually be prosecuted than what use could have been made of him as an
intelligence source. No consideration whatsoever appears to have been given
to where Abdulmutallab fits in the foreign contingency operation ..."
(Michael B. Mukasey, Op-ed, "What Does the Detroit Bomber Know?" The Wall
Street Journal <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7461> ,
1/6/10)

Administration Made "Major Analytical Mistake" In Underestimating AQAP.
"[T]he U.S. government did not believe that AQAP posed a significant,
real-time security threat. That was a fundamental reason why intelligence
derived from Yemeni sources about on plots against the U.S. hatched in Yemen
did not set off alarm bells... This is a major analytical mistake." (Marc
Ambinder, "The Administration's Big Mistake," The Atlantics' "Politics
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7439> " Blog, 1/7/09)

And White House Slated Major Cuts For National Counterterrorism Center
Budget. "The highly touted intelligence fusion center at the heart of the
nation's counterterrorism establishment was preparing for deep budget cuts
across 2010, senior intelligence officials said. According to one official,
who asked not to be identified because intelligence budget matters are
classified, the administration and Congress slashed the budget for the
National Counterterrorism Center by at least $25 million." (Marc Ambinder,
"NCTC Was Slated For Deep Budget Cuts," The Atlantic's "Politics" Blog
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7452> , 1/5/09)

AND SACRIFICED AMERICAN PRINCIPLES OF DEMOCRACY & HUMAN RIGHTS ON WORLD
STAGE

Obama Gave Human Rights Groups "Reasons To Be Concerned." "Meanwhile Obama
has given 'human rights fundamentalists'... other reasons to be concerned.
His secretary of state all but told the Chinese during her initial visit to
Beijing that human rights would not be a priority in our relationship.
Meanwhile, in Darfur, Obama has proceeded with glacial caution. It took him
nearly two months to appoint a special envoy, suggesting that Sudan was not
the priority it should have been; and now that the envoy is in place, there
have been indications that Obama intends to take a conciliatory posture
toward Khartoum." (Richard Just, "'We Can't Just Do Nothing," The New
Republic <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7445> , 8/27/09)

Obama Made Overtures To Repressive Governments While Ignoring Dissidents,
Prisoners. "Rebuffing the Dalai Lama is part of a pattern ... support for
Iranian democrats has been hesitant. Overtures to repressive governments in
Iran, Cuba, North Korea, Venezuela, Syria and Egypt have generally ignored
the struggles of dissidents and prisoners in those nations ... the Obama era
is hardly a high point of human rights solidarity." (Michael Gerson, "A Cold
Shoulder To Liberty," The Washington Post
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7466> , 9/23/09)

And Sacrificed Some U.S. Principles To Achieve Personal Objectives. "But
critics on the left and right have accused the president of sacrificing some
of the U.S. principles he has publicly celebrated on behalf of a diplomacy
that administration officials often describe as willing to accept progress
if a perfect outcome is not possible." (Scott Wilson, "Shared Interests
Define Obama's World," The Washington Post
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7453> , 11/2/09)

Washington Post Editorial Says Obama Has "Put Democracy Promotion ... On A
Back Burner." "In the aftermath of Sept. 11, 2001, the Bush administration
correctly judged that an absence of political freedom was contributing to
the growth of Islamic extremism ... For a time it pressed Arab governments
for democratic change, and it made some headway in Egypt before retreating
in its final years. The Obama administration, in contrast, appears to have
put democracy promotion in the region on a back burner." (Editorial, "'Free
To Speak Out' In Egypt," The Washington Post
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7457> , 1/4/10)

And Unlike Past Presidents, Failed To Stand Up For Human Rights In China.
"The White House did not even stand up for itself when it came to the
question of human rights in China. The president, who had said only a few
days earlier that freedom of expression is a universal right, was coerced
into attending a joint press conference with Chinese President Hu Jintao, at
which quest ions were forbidden. Former US President George W. Bush had
always managed to avoid such press conferences." (Gabor Steingart, "Obama's
Nice Guy Act Gets Him Nowhere On The World Stage," Spiegel Online
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1272-1522-25548-7455> , 11/23/09)