[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish employees forced to buy at Wal-Mart?

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 5 08:29:54 EST 2010

Westley,

Have you heard about this or is there anyone out there who can fill us in on
this? It was learned that Parish President Craig Taffaro required all St.
Bernard Parish Government employees to purchase something from the reopened
Wal-Mart, and that employees even had to sign some sort of document that
they would buy it and had to sign something when they went to the Wal-Mart?
I guess the document was to verify that each employee did what they were
instructed?

I know things get lost in translation, so I'm hoping someone will provide
accurate information as to what this is all about.

If any of this is true, I can tell you shit has already hit the fan with
this in Jacksonville, Florida - corporate HQ of Winn-Dixie. Someone who
works for St. Bernard government told a relative who works for Winn-Dixie.
That Winn-Dixie employee passed it on to a district manager and it made its
way up the chain. I heard a general comment that was made by someone high
up at Winn-Dixie went something like "well, the parish government never
forced any of their employees come to shop at Winn-Dixie when we came back
to St. Bernard and rebuilt." It was also overheard at Winn-Dixie by some
high ranking manager about questioning the legality of such an act.

I think we are all owed a detailed explaination behind this...who thought of
the idea, what was the reasoning behind it, and was it legal to require
government civil servants to something like this, particulary since it
required them signing something? In the end, this might not be anything at
all, but in the very least, based on the "strange" sound of this I think the
people are entitled to know more about it.

John