[StBernard] Believe Dat!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 10 08:25:21 EST 2010

Dear Friends -

Can You Believe Dat?! Our New Orleans Saints are the champions of the
world. I am so proud of the players and the organization who have given New
Orleans and Louisiana hope through difficult times. Their accomplishments
this year are a tribute to all the work they've done on and off the field.
In honor of the New Orleans Saints and in recognition of the Who Dat
Nation's unwavering support, I've officially declared
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c066%7c9390&digest
=eYQHBTZ5zzy%2fc6jKnZdGlQ> the week of February 8th as "Saints Week." Geaux
Saints!

On Thursday, I joined education leaders from across the state to announce
legislation I will pursue in the upcoming legislative session to reduce red
tape in our education system and make it easier to improve schools. As I
told the Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c067%7c9390&digest
=hn9X9BO1guEq%2fL0bCTsKPA> , we know that every school isn't the same,
different students have different challenges, and that's why we're allowing
greater flexibility tied to more accountability for student improvement.
The "Red Tape Reduction Act" will empower educational leaders to implement
comprehensive school reform with greater autonomy, equip low-performing
schools on the verge of state takeover with the tools needed to improve, and
most importantly ensure that every Louisiana child has access to a
high-quality education.

My administration launched http://www.HealthFinderLA.gov
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c068%7c9390&digest
=TEinZFqUaoDzXFlhrRrdFg> last week to give residents across our great state
easy access to detailed and accurate information about the cost and quality
of health care services and health care providers. As the Thibodaux Daily
Comet
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c069%7c9390&digest
=yBWr44ve6aT1hc%2b8s6UL%2fA> reported, "to create the new site, health
officials worked with a panel of technology experts, consumer advocates and
federal representatives to bring together publicly reported health data."
Louisiana is now one of only four states to have brought data on hospitals,
nursing homes, health plans, and pharmacy pricing onto one, easy-to-use
website. This new site increases transparency in our health care system and
not only holds our health care providers accountable but helps patients
choose the provider best suited for their needs.

Last week, we also had two exciting announcements on the economic
development front. On Wednesday we broke ground on a new sugar refinery in
St. John the Baptist Parish that will refine a million tons of raw sugar a
year. As I told the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c060%7c9390&digest
=fUCbq70OH8%2fHM48HA4yh7A> , sugar is an important part of our history, but
it's also an important part of our state's economic future. We also
announced last week that Aeroframe Services will be expanding their
operations in Lake Charles. KPLC
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c061%7c9390&digest
=rDfqJL2znL%2fhdSusIMydvg> reported that, "besides the 300 new jobs an
additional 360 indirect jobs are expected to be created totaling more than
660 jobs over the coming six months." This expansion is yet another boost
to our economy and thanks to our national-caliber workforce initiative we
will be able to recruit and train the necessary workers to meet Aerospace's
needs.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal

P.S. - Enjoy "Saints Week"! Geaux Saints!