[StBernard] Protecting Our Children

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 24 22:18:50 EST 2010

Dear Friends -

Last week I joined law enforcement and local officials in Shreveport and
Alexandria to outline five legislative priority areas that will strengthen
our ability to track down and punish monsters that prey on our children.
Already, my administration has worked closely with the Legislature to
authorize chemical castration and lifetime registration of sex offenders,
increase minimum sentences, and consolidate the sex offender database so law
enforcement can share information. But we cannot stop there. The internet
is an ever-changing area that demands our tactics and our laws evolve so
that we can stay one step ahead of sex predators.

Our new legislation is aimed at attacking the distribution of child
pornography online, implementing strict sentencing for offenders who solicit
minors over the internet, and providing new tools to assist law enforcement
officials in their investigation and prosecution of these monsters. As a
parent of three young children, I know that mothers and fathers are the
first line of defense. We must pay attention to what our children are doing
online, but we must also make sure that that these predators know Louisiana
has the toughest laws in the country and we will enforce them. I told the
New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c070%7c9390&digest
=FgcPqrNUKhNjpMJtEuSHDw> , that I want the message to these monsters who
prey on our innocent children to be very clear: we will track you down, we
will root you out, we will find you online - and when we do we will punish
you with every tool that we have.

Finally, last Thursday, Supriya joined Cindy McCain in Shreveport for the Go
Red for Women luncheon. As the Shreveport Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c071%7c9390&digest
=On1GG1brek9%2f7W0dhrsx9A> reported, "Go Red is a national organization
designed to encourage women to learn more about heart and vascular disease,
and strokes." As many of you know, this issue is very personal to my
family. Just one week after his birth, our oldest son, Shaan, was diagnosed
with a congenital heart defect and I will never forget the emotional and
educational process we began to help our son lead a normal life. I've
thanked Supriya for her leadership in raising awareness about this important
issue and I encourage everyone to visit www.goredforwomen.org
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c072%7c9390&digest
=7vcVrlOHsH1Y8FvPG%2b5x8w> to learn more.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal