[StBernard] Ron Nicosia appointed to open seat on St. Bernard Parish School Board

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 24 22:33:23 EST 2010

Ron Nicosia appointed to open seat on St. Bernard Parish School Board
By Bob Warren, The Times-Picayune
February 24, 2010, 3:02PM

A familiar face will fill the 10th District post on the St. Bernard Parish
School Board.

The board on Tuesday appointed former board member Ron Nicosia to fill the
unexpired term of his son, Perry Nicosia, who recently was elected to the
Div. C judgeship on the 34th Judicial District Court in Chalmette.

Perry Nicosia formally resigned his post on the board. He is scheduled to be
sworn in as judge on Friday.

Ron Nicosia held the seat representing the Violet, St. Bernard and Poydras
areas from 1995 until 2006. He did not seek re-election, and Perry Nicosia
won the position in September 2006.

Ron Nicosia, 63, said he left the board in 2006 because he had moved to New
Roads following Hurricane Katrina. He said he returned to Poydras about 18
months ago.

He said he will serve the remainder of the term, which expires at the end of
2010, and will likely be a candidate for post during the School Board
elections in the fall.

"I'm looking forward to it,'' he said. "I'm happy to be getting back
involved again.''

Ron Nicosia was the lone candidate to apply for the open seat, board member
Bill Egan said. Egan said the board's vote to appoint him was unanimous.

"Everbody knows him,'' Egan said. "We had all worked with Ronnie. He's very
good."