[StBernard] More LA GRADs!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 3 22:29:38 EST 2010

Dear Friends -

I believe strongly that our higher education system plays a vital role in
our state's current and future economic outlook and that's why we proposed
no cuts to higher education campuses in next year's budget. However, the
need to improve our state's colleges and universities is real and we need to
ensure every Louisiana citizen can get a great education and pursue their
dreams right here at home. We must no longer settle for having the second
worst graduation rate in the South. We wouldn't accept that ranking on the
football field and we shouldn't accept it for our students.

Last week, I joined higher education officials, business leaders, and
legislatures to announce the LA GRAD Act that will allow for increased
autonomy and flexibility in exchange for a commitment to improved
performance and better graduation rates. The Thibodaux Daily Comet
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c073%7c9390&digest
=CqZe0BccwMCUyEBkkxx%2b5w> declared that our LA GRAD Act has "real promise"
and is "a good step" towards a better college system and I encourage the
legislature to support the proposal to improve performance at our higher
education institutions and make more Louisiana students graduates of their
programs.

<http://images.publicaster.com/ImageLibrary/account848/images/20100226-Jinda
lShreveport.jpg> On Friday, I addressed the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce
and laid out my vision for the Louisiana Way Forward during our state's
long-term budget and economic challenges. I discussed my budget for the
upcoming fiscal year, which includes no cuts for higher education schools,
or K-12 education, and protects critical health care services without
raising taxes. However, during these tough economic times, we must tighten
our belts and pursue reforms and efficiencies that will make government do
more with less. As I wrote in the Monroe News-Star
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c074%7c9390&digest
=49gaA7P3g2tft7kK5d6sGg> , we will not follow Washington's lead and spend
money we don't have or borrow money we can't way back. In D.C. they believe
we can tax and spend our way to prosperity. In Louisiana we know that's
absurd.

In fact, last week I was in Washington and I met with President Barack Obama
at the National Governor's Association winter meeting. As the New Orleans
Times-Picayune
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/capital/index.ssf?/base/news-7/126690611619564
0.xml&coll=1> reported, I told the President that what our country needs
now is a laser-like focus on jobs. It's time for Washington to re-evaluate
their priorities and focus on jobs, jobs, jobs, not spending, spending,
spending.

I also recently announced a partnership agreement to begin work on the levee
system in South Lafourche with $19.8 million in support from the state. The
Houma Courier
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c085%7c9390&digest
=9M2JylR8DjhIxHHcKu9Veg> reported that our decision to aid this coastal
community was a "valuable affirmation of the levee's value, and an
encouraging commitment to ... continue the protection it has long provided."
We simply cannot wait on bureaucrats in our nation's capital. We will
continue our historic efforts to protect our coastal communities -
throughout our entire coast - with or without the help of the federal
government.

We also made important progress last week towards punishing those who
repeatedly threaten public safety. On Monday the Times-Picayune
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/capital/index.ssf?/base/news-7/126690610919564
0.xml&coll=1> reported that the Task Force on Driving While Intoxicated and
Vehicular Homicide endorsed legislation to require a judge to impose tougher
sentencing for repeated disregard of the law and the Alexandria Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c086%7c9390&digest
=Oty0AZ5oC3YO%2fFTUSl5NyQ> endorsed our efforts to crack down internet
predators saying that it's the "right approach," and "deserves unanimous
support from state lawmakers". On our roads and in the privacy of our
homes, our citizens and especially our children should be assured of their
safety and that remains one of our top priorities.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal