[StBernard] Defending farmers from unnecessary regulations

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 5 22:38:40 EST 2010

Dear Friend,

Right now, farmers are being threatened with new regulations from the
Environmental Protection Agency and Congress that could cause dramatic cost
increases and make normal farming operations nearly impossible. I am
working to protect Louisiana's farmers from these proposals to
over-regulate.

In one example, the EPA is looking to crack down on the very important
herbicide Atrazine, which has been used safely for decades. I wrote the EPA
to object to this action and demand that the agency adhere to sound
scientific review in determining regulations. A radical environmental group
used its biased findings to convince the EPA to review it again, potentially
threatening weed control efforts for many crops from sugarcane to corn and
more.

Only about three months ago, the EPA announced on its website that the best
scientific evidence has again shown that this herbicide can be used safely
and is not likely to cause disease. With this unnecessary review of a
product that has already been reviewed, the EPA appears to be motivated by
the agenda of the radical environmental group instead of science.

Also on the radical environmentalists' agenda is a bill that would extend
the reach of the EPA into any waterway or water feature. I will continue my
strong opposition to this bill that could potentially require farmers to get
EPA approval to flood rice fields, irrigate crops, or use or alter waterways
for other purposes. I can't imagine how any farm could continue operating
with government bureaucrats having to approve nearly every farming decision.

I will continue to work against over-regulation that threatens famers in
Louisiana.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator