[StBernard] The Hurt Locker - another Hollywood attempt to rewrite history

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 8 07:42:07 EST 2010

While I'm sitting there watching the Oscars, my wife tells me how over the
weekend she was listening to National Public Radio and a show called "The
World" which I believe has a website www.theworld.org. The shows focus was
an interview with several soldiers, including officers, about the movie "The
Hurt Locker."

What was interesting was these were the very soldiers who served in the same
unit and performed the same duties as the main characters in the Hurt
Locker. In short, they thought the movie was "laughable." Why? Because as
they put it, "it was a phony story about soldiers who never existed and have
never done the things the character did or would never do the things the
character depicted in the movie did." Or as they put it another way "how
not to depict a war."

Those military personnel were respective of how any movie producer or
director want to tell a story, but as they said "at least get the facts
right." I will leave it to you to see the movie and research the story at
The World, which is a BBC production. And that's another thing - funny how
it took a foriegn network to reveal the truth behind the Hurt Locker's
storyline. No surprise that no American news media would dare let Americans
know the movie's story is a farce.

I will say this in regards to what the soldiers said...in short, the way how
the main characters go about performing their duties, the protocol and some
of their actions are entirely contradicitive to proper protocol and
procedure. The story about one of the soldiers going off base into a muslim
town in the middle of the night is "a complete joke" as one soldier put it.
You're not allowed to leave the premises at those hours. The soldier's said
certain incidents and scenes depicted in the movie have "never happened."
So why make a movie based on an entierely "phony" premise?

It goes without saying the producers and writers of the Hurt Locker are
anit-war on terrorism, in the least anti-Iraq. Efforts were made to contact
the Hurt Locker's producers/writers where the questions were asked: (a) Was
the script of the movie based on any events or incidences that were known to
have taken place? and (b) Was the script based even somewhat on real
military personnel to have served in Iraq? The movie's producers refused to
answer the questions. In other words...No.

Thus, the Hurt Locker is just another attempt by Hollywood to try and
deceive Americans as to what has taken place and continues in Iraq - an
attempt to rewrite American history in Iraq.

John