[StBernard] Racing to the Top

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 10 18:31:12 EST 2010

Dear Friends -

We recently received great news on our efforts to reform our education
system so our kids can get a high quality education and pursue their dreams
right here at home. First, Louisiana was one of 16 states named as
finalists for the "Race to the Top" competitive grant program that would
attract more funding to help our students succeed. Second, the Opelousas
Daily World
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c081%7c9390&digest
=O%2fsLit4PBZLi1fwNqfvdow> expressed their support of our LA GRAD Act that
will grant our higher education institutions more flexibility in funding in
exchange for their improved performance - including raising their graduation
rates. The Daily World called the GRAD Act "a good move, with benefits
ahead for students, administrators, and employers."

We also celebrated the opening of the new Center for Performance and
Technology at the Louisiana School of Math, Science, and the Arts in
Natchitoches last week. As I told the Alexandria Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c082%7c9390&digest
=5f5La0PFeSY%2bQCv%2fqgtUbA> , one of our absolute top priorities is
providing our kids with a quality education and these new facilities will
provide students with a learning environment that rivals the very best in
the nation.

<http://images.publicaster.com/ImageLibrary/account848/images/20100304-Jinda
l-Predators-Small.jpg> On Friday, I joined officials of the Monsanto Company
at the grand opening of their new expansion in Luling. Monsanto is a
leading global provider of technology-based solutions and agricultural
products. As the Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c083%7c9390&digest
=RX3ffk0cPewkLvZkpHOrFQ> reported their expansion will create "26 new jobs"
and "represents $196 million capital investment" that "will generate 166
indirect jobs." In the midst of a difficult national recession, we are
continuing to improve our business climate so companies like Monsanto can
expand, prosper, and create more jobs for our people.

For a Who Dat update, I was pleased to learn last week that the Saints flag
I sent Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels has returned home to Louisiana. The
Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c084%7c9390&digest
=jqhvEgHi9uT0JkhfKr7wKw> reported that Gov. Daniels put the flag up for
auction with the proceeds to be donated to an inner-city youth sports
program in Indianapolis on the condition that all participants learn to
cover an onside kick. That's pretty funny! At the end of the day, Bryan
Bossier of Alexandria won the flag with a bid of $6,852 and I'm glad to see
that the end results of my friendly wager with Gov. Daniels have contributed
to a worthy cause. Congratulations again to our Saints. Who Dat!

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal