[StBernard] COSTCO'S PERSCRIPTIONS A SHOCKER.

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 16 21:17:55 EDT 2010

Jeff
This is the typical crap coming from someone doing only half the job of
research. What she does not seem capable of finding is that not all
generics cost the same to produce. It would seem that they would but in
this world everything has a twist. Some companies are merely distributors
and not manufacturers meaning they get the product from a manufacturer, have
their own label attached and distribute the product as their own and never
touch the finished product. Some of these manufacturers might even be the
same as the brand name but just change the color or shape of the medication.

I do question the cost of ingredients listed since most, if not all, of
those brands listed are synthesized. Take into consideration that the
required packaging must meet specific Federal guidelines, shipped under
specific conditions, and some even have to have specific paperwork
accompanied (called pedigree) and the overall cost of the product increases
significantly. I sit on the Board of Wholesale for the state of Louisiana
and this is only the beginning. Just wait until RFID (radiofrequency
identification) and full pedigree hit!!
Mr. Vitter wants to allow reimportation of drugs from other countries, BIG
MISTAKE. The majority of counterfeit product comes in from other countries.
Our chief inspector was allowed to take a tour of a post office a couple of
years ago and you would be amazed at the tonnage of product imported from
other countries that do not meet US quality standards.. some are even
mailed in plastic baggies even though the may be heat, light, and moisture
sensitive. I won't even try to tell you what was quarantined as counterfeit
or probably counterfeit.

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has made every attempt possible to
take away states' rights to regulate the compounding of prescription
medsToday pharmacists cannot extemporaneously compound a medication that is
available commercially unless a special need can be determined, ie. making
it sugar-free if it is not, excluding a dye, etc. The majority of
pharmacists, especially those in chains, are totally out of the loop for
pricing. They have no idea what the actual cost is since it is bought by a
central warehouse for the company and distributed by the company and charged
back to the store at what cost the company deems appropriate.

Just wait for Obama-care.

Randy