[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Throws a Party For 2010 Census

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 19 07:55:22 EDT 2010

St. Bernard Parish Throws a Party For 2010 Census
Written by WGNO ABC26 News | Thursday, 18 March 2010 15:45 ABC26 News

Have you filled out your 2010 census yet? St. Bernard Parish has a major
push to get the paperwork out.

With the help of a little music, residents from across the parish gathered
at the Celebrate St. Bernard event held Thursday at Nunez College. The goal:
reflect on the progress the parish has made since Katrina and spread the
word about the 2010 census. Parish president Craig Taffaro explains, "The
idea is every single person whose here and every single person whose on
their way back, if they can make it here by April, then make it here by
April and get counted so St. Bernard doesn't lose out on any of the
financial support by the federal government."

But getting people to fill out the census can sometimes be difficult.
Samantha Norris says, "It's sitting on my dresser right now." While Curt
Caruso also hasn't filled his out yet saying, "I'm last minute with
everything."

Which is exactly the reason for this pep rally of sorts. And when it comes
to re-building, these residents say their community can use every dollar the
government sends their way. Resident Karen Gutierrrez says, "The
infrastructure, the biggest thing is a hospital, you know we really, really
need the hospital up and running."