[StBernard] Subtle Car Break In - not a joke!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 4 19:30:08 EDT 2010

You'll find this interesting and scary. The criminals are getting smarter
all the time.

Don't be complacent, take a little extra time....be smarter than the thief.

Look at the picture following this letter.

I drove myself and two co-workers to lunch Monday, 2/15/10. I chose a
parking spot in the rear of the lot and backed into a space (no pull through
available at location). This positioned my Chevy Avalanche with the
passenger side doors facing away from the rest of the lot and to the end of
the lot. I had a Sony digital camera lying on the console of my truck.. Upon
returning from lunch and entering the vehicle we noticed nothing wrong or
missing from the vehicle. Tuesday around lunch time I needed the camera and
could not locate it. My first thoughts were, "I moved it or it fell to the
floor mat or I removed it from my truck." After searching feverishly for two
days, questioning anyone who had been close to my truck, and exhausting
every possible location I could have put it, I began to have that sinking
feeling I lost it or someone stole it. My new Garmin GPS had been in the
truck the whole time, so I felt as if someone had entered my vehicle they
would have taken it also. Fast forward to Wednesday, I approached my truck
from the passenger side to place my computer bag (aka my man purse) in the
front passenger seat. As I reached to open the door I noticed there was a
hole right under my door handle. My first thought was, "someone has shot my
truck !" I began to think about it and inspect it a little closer and the
"light" slowly began to come on. I phoned my friend who owns a body shop and
asked if he had any vehicles with damage to the doors that looked like a
bullet hole. "Yes, I see it all the time. Thieves have a punch and place it
right under the door handle, knock a hole through, reach in and unlock it,
just as if they have a key. No alarms, broken glass or anything.

I then placed a call to my insurance agent, who is also a friend, and
explained it to him. I proceeded to tell him the situation and how I was
puzzled that they left my GPS and all other belongings. Here is where it
gets scary ! "Oh no, he said, they want the break-in to be so subtle that
you don't even realize it. They look at your GPS to see where "home" is. Now
they know what you drive, go to your home, and if your vehicle isn't there
they assume you aren't and break in your home." He says they will even leave
a purse or wallet and only take one or two credit cards. By the time you
realize there has been a theft, they may have already had a couple days or
more to use them. This is another reason they want the break-in to go
unnoticed. I didn't realize my situation for two full days! They even give
you the courtesy of re-locking your doors for you. I guess they don't want
it to be broken into by other thieves !

Had they have found your check book, they could have taken checks from the
middle section so they wouldn't be noticed.

Please remove from your GPS unit your home address as "home" ASAP ! Put in
your local Wal-Mart address or somewhere else ! Park your vehicle in a
highly visible place. I positioned mine perfectly for them and didn't
realize it until it was too late. I hope this is beneficial to you and helps
you keep your valuables in your possession and your vehicle from damage.
Most importantly, it may keep the thieves from showing up at your home !

DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN SIGHT INSIDE THE CAR.

Periodically walk around your car, daily if you are in a shopping center or
other parking area. Report thefts immediately....Bank w/missing check
numbers, Credit card agencies, Police, and Insurance Companies.