[StBernard] An update on the Gulf Coast

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 7 23:24:43 EDT 2010

Dear Friends,

This week, I have been monitoring the tragic disaster in the Gulf of
Mexico. I’ve talked to first responders, Cabinet officials, and oyster and
fishermen, and I’ve shared their concerns with the head of BP during a
meeting this week. Read on to learn more about what I’m doing to minimize
the damage this spill may do to our state.

Meeting With BP, Holding Them Accountable

Earlier this week, Senator Landrieu met with the CEO of BP
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00057961.5018.50&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10099> to emphasize the importance of
capping the well and ensuring a transparent claims process for Louisianians
affected by the disaster.

Though opponents of domestic energy production have proposed raising the
liability cap on oil companies to $10 billion, Senator Landrieu is committed
to ensuring that any such legislation will not have unintended consequences
for smaller, local drilling operations that are a critical piece of south
Louisiana’s economy.

Fighting For Fishermen, Oystermen

As the oil begins to reach the shores of the Chandeleur Islands, hundreds of
miles of fishing waters have been closed off, putting nearly a third of
Louisiana’s fishermen temporarily out of work.

Following her meeting with the head of BP, Sen. Landrieu said
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00057961.5018.50&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10100> , “Gulf Coast commercial
fishermen are in desperate need of immediate and direct assistance from BP.
I have urged BP officials to honor the fact that this unprecedented disaster
has, at least temporarily, put many of our fishermen, shrimpers and
oystermen out of business. What these fishermen need is a financial support
package from BP to help pay their bills and provide for their families, as
we learn more about the environmental damage caused by this oil spill.”

BP has since pledged $25 million in grants to help those affected by the
disaster, but Sen. Landrieu will continue to advocate on behalf of
Louisiana’s fish, shrimp and oyster industries, which during some seasons
supply as much as 40 percent of the nation’s seafood.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00057961.5018.50&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10101> Discussing the Crisis on CNN,
MSNBC

Following a week in Louisiana meeting with first responders, the fishing
industry, and constituents, Sen. Landrieu spoke with CNN and MSNBC about the
challenges faced by Louisianians, and how to hold BP accountable while still
moving forward with offshore energy production.
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00057961.5018.50&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10102>

To watch Sen. Landrieu’s interview with CNN’s John King, click here
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00057961.5018.50&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10102> .

And to see her interview on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, click here
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00057961.5018.50&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10101> .

Putting Brown In His Place

This week, Michael Brown, the former head of FEMA, resurfaced to politicize
the response to the oil leak in the Gulf, claiming President Obama allowed
the leak to worsen so that he could undo the recently unveiled plan to
expand domestic drilling.

When asked to respond to Brown’s comments, Sen. Landrieu said
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00057961.5018.50&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10098> : “He was a fool when he
stepped off the plane in Louisiana 4½ years ago, and unfortunately for him,
he apparently still is."