[StBernard] eupdate 5 10 10

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 11 00:05:50 EDT 2010

e-update
5.10.10

As local and state officials continue to work with BP, the Coast Guard and
federal agencies to contain the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, we also
pray for the families and co-workers of those who were lost in the explosion
at the Deepwater Horizon rig. I'm committed to finding out what went wrong
so we can make rigs safer for those who do the important work of producing
our nation's energy supplies. I'm also working to bring relief to fishermen
and others along the coast whose livelihoods have been affected by the
spill.

Although I am certainly focused on the difficult situation facing the
Louisiana coast, I'm also keeping an eye on legislation at the federal level
and fighting for what's best for our state. As Congress prepares to deal
with the issue of illegal immigration, I continue to advocate for border
security and enforcement of our current laws without giving amnesty to those
who are here illegally.

Read below to find out how I'm fighting for you on these critical issues.

David Vitter
P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

REMEMBERING THE VICTIMS AS OIL SPILL CLEANUP CONTINUES

Federal, state and local officials are continuing to work with BP and the
Coast Guard to contain the oil spill resulting from an explosion on the
Deepwater Horizon offshore rig. As the cleanup continues, we should also
pause to remember the eleven workers who apparently lost their lives in this
tragic event. This accident was a sobering reminder of the dangers faced
by those in the oil and gas industry every day as they perform a valuable
service to our nation, and my heart goes out to the families and co-workers
of the victims. As we move forward from this tragedy, I'm committed to
working to understand what happened so that we can prevent such accidents in
the future. You can watch a part of my speech to my U.S. Senate colleagues
about the oil spill and its aftermath here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&Video
_id=69f27e02-0895-d20f-7b33-5e96dfdb0d8a&PageNum=1> .

RELIEF AND RESOURCES FOR FISHERMEN

I have also been working closely with local parish presidents, fishing
industry representatives and federal and state officials to address the
continuing effects of the spill along the Louisiana coast - particularly its
impact on the livelihoods of fishermen, oystermen and others who work in the
region. In addition, I've spoken directly to the CEO of BP to convey the
concerns of those who make their living along our coast. You can access an
extensive listing of information about the spill, as well as links to
resources such as the Vessels of Opportunity program, at a special page
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=IssuesLegislation.RigA
ccident> on my website. I've also established a hotline for anyone who is
experiencing difficulty with the BP claims process. Call (866) 345-0931 and
a member of my staff will be happy to assist you.

REAL IMMIGRATION REFORM, NOT AMNESTY

Although much controversy has surrounded a recent Arizona law that enables
local authorities to enforce federal immigration laws, no one should be
surprised by this response. Arizona is simply doing what the federal
government has refused to do for years, leading to a crisis as the state has
seen an influx of thousands and thousands of illegal immigrants. As
Congress prepares to debate an immigration bill, we must find a solution
that secures our borders first and enforces our nation's laws without
granting amnesty to those who are here illegally. The American people have
made it clear that this is what they want. You can read here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=IssueStatements.View&I
ssue_id=37f17e11-7e9c-9af9-70de-8fd9fbe41a51> about my work as the chairman
of the Border Security and Enforcement First Immigration Caucus.