[StBernard] Vitter Continues to Raise Concerns that Majority of New Boom Being Shipped Out of LA to Other States

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 12 21:31:26 EDT 2010

Vitter Continues to Raise Concerns that Majority of New Boom Being Shipped
Out of LA to Other States

(Washington, D.C.) - U.S. Sen. David Vitter today sent the following letter
to Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen regarding the inequitable allocation of
oil containment barriers, known as "boom," along the Louisiana coast.
Recently, it was announced that more boom was being flown into Louisiana,
but Vitter has been informed that much of this new boom will actually be
shipped out of Louisiana to other states.

May 12, 2010

IMMEDIATE ATTENTION REQUESTED

Admiral Thad W. Allen

Commandant of the United States Coast Guard

Coast Guard Headquarters

2100 Second Street, SW Stop 7101

Washington, DC 20593-7101

Dear Admiral Allen:

I continue to receive disturbing news regarding the ongoing inequity in the
allocation of boom. Despite our many discussions and your acknowledgment of
the need, efforts to protect Louisiana's coast with boom are still falling
short.

According to the Louisiana National Guard, only 10,000 feet of the 27,000
feet of boom flown into Louisiana yesterday will be used in Louisiana. That
is only 37 percent, yet we have more than half of the coastline within 200
miles of the well. As you and I have discussed numerous times, we must
immediately correct the allocation of boom and distribute it fairly to
protect Louisiana.

Also, according to the Guard, another 42,000 feet of boom is currently on
standby in Morgan City. Please explain how that boom will be allocated and
how quickly will it be deployed. With the oil now moving to the west along
Louisiana's coast, now is not the time for standby. We must get as much
boom as is available deployed immediately as we do everything possible to
protect our coastal areas.

Based on our last discussion, I was under the impression that a boom
deployment metric was being developed that would ensure equitable
distribution across all effected coastline. When can I expect to see a full
accounting of deployed boom using this metric?

I ask that you immediately provide a fair allocation of boom to protect
Louisiana's coast. Thank you for your ongoing work in leading the federal
response.

Sincerely,

David Vitter

United States Senate