[StBernard] Honoring police, and keeping the media honest

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 15 15:14:39 EDT 2010

Dear Friends,

This weekend, I'm back in Louisiana for a variety of events,
including a site visit to the Inner Harbor Navigation Canal. But this week
in Washington, D.C., I've been busy setting the record straight and
defending Louisiana as politicians and commentators seek to politicize the
disaster in the Gulf. I also took the time to honor some Louisiana heroes
who were in town for National Police Week. Read on to learn more.

Taking the Truth to Ed Schultz

After more than a week of unfair and unsubstantiated attacks on Senator
Landrieu by MSNBC commentator Ed Schultz, Sen. Landrieu appeared on his show
to set the record straight about the ongoing disaster in the Gulf.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10305> Sen. Landrieu reiterated her
commitment to learning the cause of the oil rig accident to prevent future
disasters, but also emphasized the critical role domestic oil production
plays in Louisiana's economy, and the nation's security.

To watch the full interview, click here
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10305> .

Fighting to Move Forward with Accountability

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10306> This week, Sen. Landrieu
participated in two committee hearings about the oil disaster in the Gulf.
The first sought to uncover the causes of the blowout
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10307> , and determine responsibility
for the costs of clean up and economic damage. When BP's President was vague
in his commitment to covering damage claims, Sen. Landrieu repeatedly
pressed him to offer a straightforward answer.

To watch the full exchange, click here
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10306> .

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10308> The second hearing focused on
the oil spill's impact on our environment. Sen. Landrieu presented a strong
case for continued oil and gas exploration, saying, "We not only have our
eyes on [the environment], we have our heart invested in it and we are
making a living on that delta. But we need the oil that comes from offshore
to keep this economy moving. We must examine what went wrong, weigh the risk
and rewards, fix what is broken and move on to get this country more
independent of foreign oil."

To watch her testimony, click here
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10308> .

Sen. Landrieu also introduced legislation this week
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10309> that would authorize $20
million in grants to organizations that help residents and businesses file
claims with BP or the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund for damage caused by
the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, and annouced aid to small businesses
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058254.5005.49&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10310> impacted by the disaster.

Honoring Our Law Enforcement

This week, law enforcement officers from across America came to Washington,
D.C. for Police Week, where "TOP COPS" are recognized for exemplary
performance. The annual event also honors those killed in the line of duty.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/images/user_images/10.05.14_Cops_week.jpg>

Sen. Landrieu hosted family, friends and coworkers of Detective Robert E.
Beane of the Beauregard Parish Sheriff's Office and Deputy Richard Stiles,
Jr. of the East Feliciana Parish Sheriff's Office, the two Louisiana police
officers killed in the line of duty last year. Friends and family shared
memories and stories, and Sen. Landrieu discussed her efforts to increase
support for the families that fallen police officers leave behind.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/images/user_images/10.05.14_TOP_COP_thumb.
jpg> Sen. Landrieu also honored Louisiana's TOP COP, Sgt. Richard Welch of
the New Orleans Police Department. Sgt. Welch was honored this week at the
17th Annual TOP COPS Award ceremony, which pays tribute to outstanding law
enforcement officers across the country for actions above and beyond the
call of duty.