[StBernard] St. Bernard fishermen frustrated with oil cleanup application process

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 15 15:17:13 EDT 2010

St. Bernard fishermen frustrated with oil cleanup application process

by Scott Satchfield / Eyewitness News

wwltv.com

Posted on May 14, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Updated yesterday at 6:45 PM

VENICE, La. - As BP continues efforts to cap the gushing oil flow at the
bottom of the gulf, fishermen across South Louisiana are still lining for
jobs with containment and cleanup, but frustration is mounting.

After sitting through another oil spill cleanup and response meeting Friday,
tempers flared for many St. Bernard fishermen. They're angry over the wages
being offered and what some describe as a confusing, unnecessarily detailed
application process.

"They want us to jump through hoops like freaking puppy dogs. We not puppy
dogs. We commercial fishermen,"one fisherman said.

Parish officials say BP has employed around 500 of the 800 St. Bernard
fishermen who signed up through the Vessels of Opportunity program so far,
but some tell us they need immediate financial relief.

"I worked the 4th, the 5th, and the 6th, here it is the 14th, ain't received
no paycheck," said fisherman Michael Collier."You know, I got a light bill
due. I got an 11-month-old baby girl. You know, how am I supposed to feed
her if I'm not making no income?"

>From possible drug tests to background checks, some fishermen fear the

application process could cut them out of the work, while others argue
they're at BP's mercy.

After spending years on the water, some say they lack the necessary skills
to find another job.

"I dropped out of seventh grade to do this. I been doing this my whole life
since I was a kid. That's all I know. How I'm gonna pay my bills. I got a
family to take care of. I got kids," said fisherman Michael Thonn.

Despite the frustration though, many are counting on the opportunity to help
with the containment and cleanup efforts.

St. Bernard President Craig Taffaro says their skills will help.

"We want to listen to them throughout this process, because many of the good
ideas that have come to this point, have come because the fishermen have
been out in the workforce and in the water and making adjustments that even
the oil responders taken note of," Taffaro said.

Taffaro says that with the help of the state wildlife and fisheries office
parish officials are working hard to screen out applicants who are not
licensed boat captains or commercial fishermen in St. Bernard.

Meanwhile, BP officials say they are not requiring drug tests at this time,
but say that could change, because of safety concerns.

Officials say workers will be paid within 15 days of submitting an invoice
for the work.

In responding to the criticisms in St. Bernard, a BP spokesman expressed
appreciation for the fishermen and their expertise in helping with the
cleanup effort.