[StBernard] Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans and Second Harvest Food Bank Receive $1 million Donation to Support Emergency Food Assistance, Direct Financial Aid and Counseling for

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 18 21:42:58 EDT 2010

Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans and Second Harvest Food Bank
Receive Donation to Support Emergency Food Assistance, Direct Financial Aid
and Counseling for

Fishermen and Families in Affected Coastal Parishes

BP America Support Totals $1 Million

May 18, 2010, New Orleans, LA - Today, BP America announced a combined $1
million donation to Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans and Second
Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana. The donation will
support emergency food assistance, direct financial aid and counseling for
fishermen and their families in the affected coastal parishes.

The Catholic Church, through Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans
and Second Harvest Food Bank has been on the ground since April 29 providing
emergency food assistance, case management, counseling services and vouchers
to fishermen and their families. In the past two weeks, they have served
more than 1000 individuals and families and are experiencing a growth in
need among the people. Second Harvest Food Bank Member agencies have
already experienced a 15 to 25 percent increase in the number of new people
seeking emergency food assistance since May 1.

"Our first priority in this disaster is the people who are directly impacted
and unable to work right now," said Archbishop Gregory Aymond. "Their
livelihood and their way of life are endangered and it is our responsibility
as church and as human beings to provide for them in their time of need.
This gift from BP America is a blessing for us as it will allow us to
continue our mission of service to those directly affected."

"Catholic Charities' role has always been that of an early responder and a
forever responder. Our expertise is in identifying the needs of the
people impacted by a disaster and remaining with them until their needs are
served, no matter how long that takes," added Catholic Charities
Co-President Gordon Wadge.

Throughout the month of May, Second Harvest Food Bank has distributed nearly
730 emergency food boxes at disaster relief sites located in St. Bernard and
Plaquemines parishes and New Orleans East. More than 31,700 totals meals
have been distributed at disaster relief sites and by Second Harvest Food
Bank member agencies in these areas in May.

"Our response teams were on the ground doing an assessment of human needs on
April 29. We knew immediately that the impact would be enormous and we
would need to respond quickly. We initially committed a minimum of $300,000
in resources for this initiative, before BP approached us with their offer
of help," said Catholic Charities Co-President Jim Kelly.

The timing of BP America's donation to Second Harvest Food Bank is critical.
Earlier this month, BP America provided an initial $100,000 donation to help
Second Harvest Food Bank replace the inventory that the Food Bank was
already distributing and to increase food assistance in St. Bernard and
Plaquemines.

"This is the time of year we already see significant increases in need for
food assistance," said Alan Allgood, Chief Operations Officer of Second
Harvest Food Bank. "BP America's donation will help ensure that Second
Harvest can meet the increased need of the affected fishermen and their
families during these uncertain times in addition to the existing need for
food assistance across south Louisiana."

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. thanked Archbishop Aymond
for his spiritual support and for being on the ground in St. Bernard during
this time of need.

"That is a bright spot in a very dark time of our recovery," Taffaro said.
"It has been quite comforting to have his person presence here on several
occasions. That should help our community keep their hope. It is the
spiritual leadership that will sustain our people.

Taffaro, who attended the press conference along with Parish Councilmen
Frank Auderer and George Cavignac, thanked BP for the generous donation and
the company's willingness to work with local officials to address the oil
spill. He thanked DSS Secretary Kristy Nichols as well for all of the
support her agency has provided to citizens.

He said the work and assistance offered by Catholic Charities and the Second
Harvest Food Bank is critical to the residents affected by the oil spill,
but St. Bernard citizens are a proud people who are not used to taking
assistance. "The trick will be to get the affected citizens to actually
reach out to get the help that is available."

The Louisiana Department of Social Services (DSS) is working to ensure that
all impacted families apply for available aid, including the regular
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). SNAP outreach teams are
working at 13 temporary registration sites in Plaquemines, St. Bernard,
Jefferson, St. Tammany, Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes. Since May 3, the
DSS teams have accepted nearly 800 applications for SNAP, formerly known as
food stamps.

In addition, DSS issued an emergency rule last week revising what income and
assets can be counted to determine eligibility for SNAP and other
federally-funded cash-based aid. The rule, which applies statewide, is
designed to target the needs of coastal residents who may have recently lost
income, but have assets that put them over the limit to receive aid. The
rule also applies to the Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program
(FITAP), the Kinship Care Subsidy Payment (KCSP) and the Child Care
Assistance Program (CCAP).

"DSS is working through every avenue to ensure that no family that is
financially impacted by this disaster goes hungry," said DSS Secretary
Kristy Nichols. "From working with the federal government to make as many
people as possible eligible for SNAP benefits, to making our own requests to
BP for aid for families, DSS is committed to the fishermen, shrimpers and
others whose livelihoods are in the balance."

DSS estimates that approximately 47,000 households across coastal Louisiana
may experience a need for food assistance due to the oil spill.

Individuals in need of ongoing assistance are encouraged to call Catholic
Charities Care Line at 1-866-891-2210 or Second Harvest Food Bank at
504-734-1322. Visit www.no-hunger.org for help locating a Second Harvest
Food Bank member agency in their local community.

###

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans is home to approximately
470,000 Catholics in the eight civil parishes of Orleans, Jefferson,
Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany,
and Washington. Established as a Catholic diocese in 1793, it is one of the
oldest Catholic dioceses in the country and has been one of the shaping
influences of New Orleans' culture. Today, the archdiocese continues Jesus
Christ's work of evangelization and care for the poor through its 108 church
parishes, 85 Catholic schools and numerous social apostolate ministries that
provide food, clothing, housing, counseling and much more to the most
vulnerable of our society. Lead by Most Reverend Gregory M. Aymond, 14th
Archbishop of New Orleans, the Catholic Church in New Orleans has been a
vital part of New Orleans' post-Katrina rebirth from reopening schools to
rebuilding homes to responding to crisis in the New Orleans community.

Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans

Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans is an umbrella agency with 45
programs delivering health and human services to the poor and vulnerable in
the 8 civil parishes of the Archdiocese of New Orleans. Catholic Charities
serves the homeless, hungry, the elderly, at-risk youth, pregnant women,
individuals with developmental delays, and many more. For more information,
please visit www.ccano.org or follow us on Twitter at
twitter.com/cathcharitiesNO.

Second Harvest Food Bank

Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana is leading the
fight against hunger in south Louisiana through food distribution,
education, advocacy and disaster response. Annually, Second Harvest serves
approximately 263,000 people, including 82,000 children and 40,000 seniors,
through 235 nonprofit and faith-based agencies across 23 south Louisiana
parishes. In any given week, nearly 42,000 people access emergency food
services through Second Harvest Food Bank member agencies.

Second Harvest Food Bank is an affiliated corporation of Catholic Charities
Archdiocese of New Orleans and a member of Feeding America. To learn more
or donate food, money or time, please visit www.no-hunger.org.

PHOTO BY KAREN TURNI BAZILE: At today's press conference, St. Bernard Parish
President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. thanks Archbishop Aymond, DSS Secretary
Nichols, BP, Catholic Charities, Second Harvest Food Bank and BP for their
support.