[StBernard] A Memorial Day Prayer from Autom

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 28 08:24:59 EDT 2010

A Memorial Day Prayer

Memorial Day was first observed on May 30, 1868, when flowers were placed at
the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers. On this day we honor all who
have died in service of our nation.

Dear God our Father,

Your word tells us, "Unless the LORD build the house, they labor in vain who
build. Unless the LORD guard the city, in vain does the guard keep watch"
(Psalm 127:1).

Thank You for those who have guarded not only our cities, but our country,
allies, and many other communities from unjust and unprincipled aggressors.
On this Memorial Day, with a solemn and sacred spirit, we pause to remember
and honor the brave men and women in our Armed Forces who gave up their
lives for their fellow Americans at home and abroad. Many were young and
many were married, with their loved ones praying for them back home; but
they were each fighting to protect the freedom we enjoy when they were
called to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Dear God, please bless our heroes and heroines with Your mercy, grace, and
peace. Bless also their families and friends. May Your perpetual light shine
upon them; and may their souls and the souls of all our faithful departed
rest in peace. In Jesus' name.
Amen.

Take a Moment to Reflect and Pray:
To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day,
the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed in December 2000
asking all Americans at 3 p.m. local time "to voluntarily and informally
observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from
whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps'."

Other Ways to Observe This Day:

* Visit cemeteries and place flags or flowers on the graves of our
fallen heroes.
* Visit local memorials.
* Fly the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon.
* Fly the POW/MIA Flag
* Pledge to aid the widows, widowers, and orphans of our fallen
soldiers, and to aid the disabled veterans.

On behalf of our Autom family we wish you a Blessed Memorial Day!