[StBernard] Landrieu fights for those affected by spill

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 28 21:03:17 EDT 2010

Dear Friends,

Today, I am in Louisiana, touring our devastated coast with
President Obama and other officials. This week, I've been hard at work in
Washington, DC fighting for the victims of this catastrophe, so that not one
person loses their business, home, boat or livelihood. Below you'll find
highlights of some of the recent victories I've secured for our state, and
learn about the battles we're still fighting.

Getting Our Fair Share of Oil Revenue

In anticipation of President Obama's visit to Louisiana, the Times-Picayune
ran an editorial above today's masthead
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058796.5115.131&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10871> stressing the importance of
passing Sen. Landrieu's bill to accelerate oil and gas revenue sharing.
Today's editorial echoes one printed in the Times-Picayune last saturday
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058796.5115.131&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10872> , which also called for the
adoption of Sen. Landrieu's accelerated revenue-sharing bill.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/images/user_images/10.05.28_TP_masthead.jp
g>

Sen. Landrieu successfully fought for revenue sharing for Gulf Coast states
in 2006, but because of Republican budgetary objections, the full impact of
the legislation was delayed until 2017. The current disaster in the Gulf
shows unequivocally that Louisiana cannot wait another day for these
critical coastal restoration funds.

Accelerating Aid To Affected Communities

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058796.5115.131&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10873> This week, Sen. Landrieu
penned an Op/Ed in Real Clear Politics
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058796.5115.131&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10874> , outlining four simple
proposals that would streamline assistance to families and businesses
affected by the disaster.

Late last night, the Senate adopted a number of these proposals
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058796.5115.131&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10875> , which would cut through red
tape in allocating funds for coastal restoration, and grant the Army Corps
of Engineers authority to use dredging material to build barrier islands.
Both of these victories are critical, not only in light of the oil disaster,
but as Louisiana continues work on restoring its marshes and wetlands.

Preparing for Hurricane Season

In anticipation of hurricane season, which begins next week, Sen. Landrieu
held a press conference with National Commission on Children and Disasters
Chairman Mark Shriver to urge passage of legislation
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058796.5115.131&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10876> to address the unique needs
of children before, during, and after a disaster. Restoring day care and
schools in the wake of a storm is necessary for a return to normalcy, but
there are currently no guidelines in place to ensure a quick reestablishment
of these services.

To watch Sen. Landrieu's remarks, click here
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00058796.5115.131&gen=1&mailing_linkid=10870> .