[StBernard] Washington to Approve Construction of All 6 Berms to Protect Louisiana Coast From Oil Spill; BP to Pick Up Cost

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 3 08:07:31 EDT 2010

Washington to Approve Construction of All 6 Berms to Protect Louisiana Coast From Oil Spill; BP to Pick Up Cost

Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman Anh "Joseph" Cao (LA-02) received word from the White House that the federal government has signed off on the remaining five of six sand berms proposed by the State of Louisiana to protect its coast against the encroaching BP oil spill, and that the Obama administration is directing BP to pay for the construction of all six berms.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers issued a permit last week for the first of the six berms.

Cao said he is urging the Obama administration to make sure that BP follows its instruction to pay construction costs.

Cao said, "Federal approval of all six berms is an important first step in the right direction. I completely support the White House's position that BP must be held accountable and that it be forced to pay the cost of protecting the State's coast from the mess the oil company made."

Just last week, Cao confronted Corps of Engineers Deputy Assistant Secretary Terrence C. Salt on what was by then already a two-week delay in making a decision on the state's request to build the berms.

In a hearing of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Cao questioned Salt about an environmental impact study the Corps said it had to do before acting. Cao asked: "Why are we spending time to do an environmental impact study when the oil threatens to destroy everything?"

Salt responded: "... I think the Corps is proceeding with its analysis on that and expects a decision…"

Cao interjected, "... but it seems to me that the longer we delay, even a day, two days, three days, can lead to very devastating effects, to the Gulf Coast region, to the marshes and to the estuaries. And how hard is it to make a decision with respect to allow the berms to be built or not... and I don’t know why it takes a week to make a decision."

"I can make one right now," Cao said.

###