[StBernard] Governor Jindal Letter to President Obama and Secretary Salazar: Severe Impacts of Moratorium on Deepwater Drilling

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 3 18:57:05 EDT 2010

Governor Jindal Letter to President Obama and Secretary Salazar: Severe
Impacts of Moratorium on Deepwater Drilling

BATON ROUGE - Today, Governor Bobby Jindal sent the following letter to
President Obama and Secretary Salazar regarding grave concerns about the
administration's decision to place a moratorium on deepwater drilling.

Full Letter Below:

June 2, 2010

Dear President Obama and Secretary Salazar:

I am writing to express my grave concerns regarding the severe economic
impact of a six-month (or longer) suspension of activity at 33 previously
permitted deepwater drilling rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, including and in
particular the 22 deepwater drilling rigs currently in operation off the
Louisiana coast.

Already, Louisiana has suffered severe negative economic and ecological
impacts from the BP oil spill. Our seafood industry is experiencing huge
economic losses that have only been partially mitigated by a frustratingly
slow and inadequate BP claims process. Moreover, our precious wetlands are
suffering incalculable, permanent damages, while our tourism industry faces
escalating losses.

During one of the most challenging economic periods in decades, the last
thing we need is to enact public policies that will certainly destroy
thousands of existing jobs while preventing the creation of thousands more.

The Louisiana Department of Economic Development estimates that the active
drilling suspension alone will result in a loss of 3,000 to 6,000 Louisiana
jobs in the next 2-3 weeks and potentially over 10,000 Louisiana jobs within
a few months. If the suspension of active drilling activity continues for
an extended period, LED estimates that our state risks losing more than
20,000 existing and potential new Louisiana jobs in the next 12-18 months.

Obviously these losses would come on top of those already generated by the
spill and its related effects. Moreover, the announced moratorium of
deepwater drilling activity creates a significant risk that many of these
drilling platforms would be relocated to other countries -- along with the
hundreds of high paying jobs that they each create.

Additionally, I fully understand the need for strict oversight of deepwater
drilling. However, I would ask that the federal government move quickly to
ensure that all deepwater drilling is in proper compliance with federal
regulation and is conducted safely so that energy production and more
importantly, thousands of jobs, are not in limbo.

Thank you in advance for your swift consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal