[StBernard] Melancon testifies on spill impact; interviewed on MSNBC

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 7 18:46:51 EDT 2010

Melancon testifies on spill impact; interviewed on MSNBC

Published: Monday, June 7, 2010 at 3:26 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, June 7, 2010 at 3:26 p.m.
Video: http://is.gd/cGrFo

U.S. Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-La., appeared on MSNBC's "Daily Rundown" today
to discuss the latest in the Gulf oil disaster and a U.S. House field
hearing held in Chalmette, Louisiana, that Melancon attended. Click the
video to watch.

Melancon participated in a House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee hearing
held in Chalmette today to discuss the local impact of the Deepwater Horizon
oil spill.

"Hopefully, this hearing and others like it will reveal the pattern of
missteps and negligence that led to this continually growing catastrophe,"
Melancon said in his opening statement. "As the responders work as fast as
possible to cap this well and protect our marshes, it is also important to
identify what must change to keep another disaster like this from striking
our fragile coast. ...

"These rigs in the Gulf represent a tremendous segment of the economy in
south Louisiana, and the sooner we ascertain the vulnerabilities, the sooner
we can fix those problems and have our men and women working again in a safe
environment."

Melcnaon's 3rd Congressional district includes areas of coastal Louisiana
most directly affected by the oil leak, including Terrebonne, Lafourche,
Plaquemines, St. Bernard and southern Jefferson parishes.

Melancon, a member of the Energy and Commerce Committee, requested a hearing
be held in Louisiana so that those most affected by the oil disaster could
participate. Witnesses included the widows of two workers killed in the
April 20 explosion, a chemist, a fisherman, a local businessman impacted by
the oil spill and an expert on marine mammals.

Brief biographies of the witnesses are below, along with Melancon's full
statement to the committee:

Melancon's statement to subcommittee:

Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

I would like to start by thanking the Chairman, Ranking Member and each of
my colleagues for taking the time and interest in my state, our people, our
environment and our livelihood. Thank you for coming to this field hearing
and working to ensure that a tragedy like this doesn't happen again.

The news coverage is constantly reminding us that we are facing the largest
environmental disaster in our nation's history. It is hard not to draw
comparisons to a similarly grim milestone five years ago when this district
- and our state - bore the brunt of the largest natural and man-made
disaster in history as well.

I mention this association because it's easy to become distracted by the
torrent of bad news that streams each night. But we're here today to help
make sure that the effects of this tragedy on real people's lives aren't
forgotten, and aren't repeated.

We need to make certain that the investigations into what went wrong are
thoroughly carried out. And we must examine all solutions that may guard
against a disaster like this ever happening again.

We are fortunate to have witnesses today who will share their heartbreaking
stories with us. These stories are not easy to share, so I sincerely
appreciate the willingness of the witnesses to come before this group and
share their very personal accounts.

Mr. Chairman, hopefully this hearing and others like it will reveal the
pattern of missteps and negligence that led to this continually growing
catastrophe. Because as responders work as fast as possible to cap this well
and protect our marshes, it is also important to identify what must change
to keep another disaster like this from striking our fragile coast.

These rigs in the Gulf represent a tremendous segment of the economy in
South Louisiana, and the sooner we ascertain the vulnerabilities, the sooner
we can fix those problems and have our men and women working again in a safe
environment.

I would also like to thank the expert witness panel for participating today.

I am afraid that when the cameras leave and national attention dies down, we
in Louisiana will just be starting our cleanup and recovery. The toxic
pollution in our Gulf waters could knock out our fisheries industry and way
of life for years - if not decades - to come.

We need your expertise to help recognize the actions we can take to mitigate
these scenarios and make our resources productive again as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Witness biographies

Natalie Roshto's husband, Shane, was killed during the explosion. Shane and
Natalie, 23, were married for 4 1/2 years and have a 3-year-old child
together.

Courtney Kemp's husband, Wyatt, was killed during the explosion. Wyatt and
Courtney stated dating when they were sophomores in high school. They were
married for 5 1/2 years and have a 3-year-old and a 4-month-old child.

Wilma Subra is a chemist who provides technical assistance to the Louisiana
Environmental Action Network. She has extensive knowledge of the human
health and environmental effects associated with the spill.

Clarence "Ronnie" Duplessis is an oyster and shrimp fisherman from Davant,
Louisiana, whose shrimping grounds and oyster beds have been closed, putting
him out of work. He received $5,000 from BP for his losses, and was promised
additional payments in 2-3 weeks. It has been over a month and he has not
heard anything from BP.

Kelby Linn is the president of ACP Real Estate, a beachfront property sale
and rental agency, on Daulphin Island, Alabama. Oil has not yet hit the
island, but they have already suffered significant financial harm due to
negative press coverage suggesting the entire Gulf coast has been hit by the
oil spill. Since May 1, 120-130 beachfront rental reservations have been
cancelled.

Dr. Moby Solangi is founder, president and executive director of the
Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Gulfport, Mississippi. He wrote his
thesis on the effects of Louisiana crude oil on fisheries. Oil has not hit
the Mississippi coast, but Dr. Solangi believes that there are significant
environmental harms for the entire Gulf region.