[StBernard] BP to give Louisiana $60 million for initial sand berm construction; more payments to follow

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 8 08:26:03 EDT 2010

Posted on NOLA.COM at
http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/bp_to_give_louisia
na_60_millio.html
<http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/bp_to_give_louisi
ana_60_millio.html>

BP to give Louisiana $60 million for initial sand berm construction; more
payments to follow

BP said today that it sent Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal
<http://topics.nola.com/tag/bobby-jindal/index.html> a letter
<http://emergency.louisiana.gov/assets/BPBarrierIslandLetter.pdf> saying it
will give the state an initial $60 million payment to begin work on the six
sand berms
<http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/05/coast_guard_appro
ves_building.html> state officials hope will help protect the coastline
from spreading oil from BP's damaged well in the Gulf of Mexico
<http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/> .

The company said it will give five more payments of $60 million to the state
as the state progresses on the berm construction.

The company has agreed to pay $360 million for berm construction off
Louisiana's coast. BP said the payments will be made directly to the state
rather than establishing an escrow fund for the project.

BP said the initial $60 million payment is intended to permit the state to
begin work on the project immediately. BP will make the other five payments
when the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority of Louisiana, which is
chaired by Garret Graves, certifies that the project has satisfied 20
percent, 40 percent, 60 percent, 80 percent and 100 percent completion
milestones.

"We are committed to doing everything we can to protect the coastline and
reduce the impact of the oil and gas spill in the Gulf of Mexico. We
understand that the United States Coast Guard and the State of Louisiana
want this project to proceed with urgency, so we want to ensure that funding
is immediately available to begin construction of the berms," said Bob
Dudley, BP's managing director, who toured the oil-fouled Grand Isle area
today with Jindal.