[StBernard] Boy, 16, arrested in stabbing death of 8-year-old

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 11 08:51:06 EDT 2010

Boy, 16, arrested in stabbing death of 8-year-old

By JAMES MINTON
Advocate Baker - Zachary bureau

ST. FRANCISVILLE - West Feliciana Parish Sheriff J. Austin Daniel said
investigators do not know a motive for a Thursday afternoon attack which
left an 8-year-old boy dead, allegedly at the hands of a 16-year-old boy, on
a wooded trail in The Bluffs on Thompson Creek.

The younger boy was stabbed repeatedly in the front and back of his body and
had his throat cut, according to the sheriff.

Because of the ages of the victim and suspect, Daniel declined to release
their names.

"It's the worst thing I've ever seen in a long time," the sheriff said, then
added after a moment, "I don't guess I've ever seen a kid kill another kid."

Daniel said deputies received a 911 call about 1 p.m. from a carpenter
working in the development who said a boy covered in blood came out of the
woods and told the workers to call 911 and "that he had killed another boy."

"The construction guys more or less held the 16-year-old until we got
there," Daniel said.

Deputies recovered the knife believed to have been used in the attack.

Daniel said the victim, his mother and his brother were riding bicycles on
the paved trail, but the victim fell behind on the route.

"They did not witness the attack," Daniel said of the mother and her other
son.

The sheriff said the victim and his family were visiting another family in
the residential and golfing development that borders Thompson Creek.

After the mother came back to where her son was attacked, she attempted to
revive him with cardiopulmonary resuscitation, but the boy was pronounced
dead at a hospital, Daniel said.

The sheriff said deputies booked the 16-year-old Thursday with first-degree
murder and took him to a juvenile detention center in Chalmette for the
night.