[StBernard] Obama’s solution to Moratorium: Unemployment checks

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 16 09:25:02 EDT 2010

President Obama's job-killing Moratorium could cost 154,000 Louisiana jobs. Thousands of Louisianians are already out of work because of the devastating oil spill, but President Obama says he has a plan for all this job loss – join the unemployment rolls, and collect a government check.

In a recent interview with WWL radio <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=jjJXLePRImITKcJ&s=hsLRL0MJJkIXL5ODKmE&m=clLTK9NNIkL7IrI> , Lafourche Parish President Charlotte Randolph highlighted her meeting with President Obama. She asked what he was going to do about those who have lost their jobs from the oil spill and the workers who could lose their jobs from his moratorium. President Obama's answer to Parish President Randolph - he'll put them on unemployment. This is totally unacceptable. I will fight to keep every single Louisiana job Obama is putting in jeopardy as a result of this moratorium.

Listen to the Audio Here <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=dnKLIWMtHgLILVI&s=hsLRL0MJJkIXL5ODKmE&m=clLTK9NNIkL7IrI>

My opponent, Charlie Melancon has yet to demand that Obama lift the job-killing moratorium and proceed with immediate safety inspections. He should also ask Obama to apologize to Louisianians who want to work, not receive a government check.

Of course people who are thrown out of work from the moratorium will need relief, but a government check won't make them whole. Just because liberals in Washington and Chicago think unemployment is equivalent to a pay check; hard working people in places like Fourchon and Morgan City would rather work for a living. Obama's unemployment plan is just a shortsighted response to a long-term problem.

Join me and the 4,974 people who are telling Obama to lift the job-killing moratorium <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=gqIRI5OFJjJPJ5L&s=hsLRL0MJJkIXL5ODKmE&m=clLTK9NNIkL7IrI> and proceed with immediate rigorous safety inspections.

Sincerely,

David Vitter