[StBernard] The Exploding National Debt

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 17 18:43:21 EDT 2010

Dear Friend,

We recently hit a milestone: our national debt exceeded $13 trillion. While
the rest of America has to cut back during tough economic times, Congress is
spending more and more and passing on a mountain of debt to our children.

The time is now for a Balanced Budget Amendment. The constitutional
amendment I have co-authored would require the president to submit a
balanced budget, and to ensure the budget won't be balanced merely by
massive tax increases, it would require a two-thirds vote to raise taxes.

If we continue on the current path, our debt level will be insurmountable.
Recently, even modest proposals to trim spending, such as my amendment to
cut $40 billion from the stimulus, have been rejected. Instead, we continue
to see more and more bailouts and budgets from President Obama that continue
down the path of doubling our debt in five years and tripling it in ten.

It's not too late if we take bold steps, like passing the Balanced Budget
Amendment and stopping the endless bailout programs. I will continue to
oppose this debt explosion and work to get us to fiscal responsibility.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator