[StBernard] Claiborne Avenue expressway demolition gets support in report

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jul 23 08:24:59 EDT 2010

When I was going to Tulane Univ. in the evening, I was **very** glad to be
up on that elevated part of I-10 and above the surface streets in that area.
And whoever says putting it back as a surface street and only increasing
travel times a few minutes, is full of it.

JY

Claiborne Avenue expressway demolition gets support in report
Published: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 5:00 AM
Bruce Eggler, The Times-Picayune

Hoping to give further momentum to an idea that has picked up a
growing
number of adherents in recent years, a group of local civic
activists and
planners today will release a detailed report advocating the removal
of the
elevated expressway over Claiborne Avenue.

The report suggests turning the 2.2-mile stretch of expressway
between
Elysian Fields Avenue and the Pontchartrain Expressway near the
Superdome
into a surface-level boulevard tied into the city's regular street
grid,
although it says even that might not have to be built in the section
of the
route between St. Bernard Avenue and Elysian Fields.

The document says eliminating the expressway would have numerous
benefits,
such as removing an eyesore, reducing noise and air pollution,
increasing
opportunities for public transit, and promoting investment that
would
eliminate blight and create economic development in the Treme and
7th Ward
neighborhoods.

<snipped)