[StBernard] St. Bernard Special Needs residents eligible for evacuation assistance; Register at 278-4322 for assistance

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Aug 18 18:40:51 EDT 2010

St. Bernard Special Needs residents eligible for evacuation assistance

Eligible residents should register with the Office of Homeland Security and
Emergency Preparedness

St. Bernard Parish residents with Special Needs are eligible for assistance
in evacuating should a mandatory evacuation be called, either due to a
hurricane or another type of emergency which might arise in the parish.
Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. urges those who need help evacuating
to register with the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
by calling 278-4322. We will send you the necessary forms which must be
completed and returned to the office.

We also have our Special Needs Forms and instructions on our website,

http://www.sbpg.net. Click on the Download Form and Instructions flashing
ribbon on the right side of the screen, then click print. Read the follow
the instructions carefully when filling out the form. Incomplete forms will
not be accepted.

In order to be eligible for this program you must process a valid ID or
driver's license. If you do not have a valid ID or driver's license you
will be processed by the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office for
identification purposes.

Forms are held for one year, from hurricane season to hurricane season. If
it has been a year since you filled out a form, it is your responsibility to
fill out a current form and return it to us. Also, if your contact
information changes (address and telephone number) or if your circumstances
have changed since you last filled out a form, please fill out a new form
and forward to the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness at
the following address:

Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness

8201 W. Judge Perez Drive

Chalmette, LA 70043

ATTN: Special Needs Registration

Those with Special Needs would include two categories:

1. Residents who require a degree of medical care that exceeds that of
general population, such as the disabled, the infirmed or those who are
electrically dependent.

2. Residents who do not otherwise have transportation to get them to a
bus pick-up area where they would be taken to a shelter outside of St.
Bernard Parish.

Residents registered with the program would be evacuated in the time period
of 60 to 54 hours before tropical force winds make landfall on the Louisiana
coastline, Chief Administrative Officer David Dysart said.

It is important that Special Needs residents pre-register with the Office of
Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness to insure transportation. "If
you do not have transportation, we need to know about it," Dysart said.

It is your responsibility to listen to the public service announcements
which will give you specific directions, as the hurricane approaches.

Once we hit the 40 hour mark prior to landfall, the parish will not be able
to provide transportation and people will have to find another means of
getting out of the parish.

###