[StBernard] LDEQ reports no evidence of oil on nets or shrimp catch

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 27 09:24:51 EDT 2010

LDEQ reports no evidence of oil on nets or shrimp catch

The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality has been involved in a
project to monitor shrimp trawling vessels in St. Bernard Parish waters.
This project started August 12th and will complete today. Vessels have been
tracked in the Chandeleur Sound, Lake Borgne, Rigolets, Mississippi Sound,
Breton Sound, Black Bay and various coastal lakes and bays in the area.

"We've encountered dozens of shrimp vessels at work in St. Bernard Parish,"
says Jeff Dauzat, Environmental Scientist with LDEQ. "All vessels
encountered by LDEQ staff have been inspected and no indications of oil have
been noted on nets or in the catch."

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries along with Louisiana
Department of Health and Hospitals are involved in ongoing testing of
finfish, shrimp, crabs and oysters. Sample results thus far have indicated
that seafood is safe for consumption.

"This type of monitoring is something that will continue in our waters until
all testing is complete and we are completely certain that all precautionary
measures have been taken to ensure the safety of seafood for consumers," St.
Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro said today. "This is a step in the
right direction to making the fishermen and everyone down to the folks
eating a seafood platter at a local restaurant more confident."