[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish holds Commemorative Ceremony at Katrina Monument in Shell Beach

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 31 20:54:49 EDT 2010

St. Bernard Parish holds Commemorative Ceremony at Katrina Monument in Shell
Beach

St. Bernard Parish residents and officials gathered Sunday at the Katrina
Monument in Shell Beach on the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet in the early
morning rains for a commemorative ceremony to honor those who lost their
lives to Hurricane Katrina.

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. thanked those agencies
who helped with the response to Hurricane Katrina, including those among the
6,000 residents who hadn't heeded warnings to evacuate but who, in turn, put
themselves in harm's way by volunteering to assist with rescue efforts.

"We have made a commitment to continue to do this annually until the
rebuilding is complete out of respect for those who made the ultimate
sacrifice," St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. said at the
ceremony next to the monument. "The MRGO is closed, but we are far from
done. We will continue that fight. We have the fight and the will to
rectify the damage that the MRGO has caused so that those who lost their
lives did not die in vain."

The granite monument built for the first anniversary in 2006 sits at the end
of the land where the community of Shell Beach meets the Mississippi River
Gulf Outlet. A metal crucifix stands in the waters of the MRGO nearby. It
has the names of 163 St. Bernard residents who died as a result of Katrina.

The Rev. Dennis Hayes of St. Rita Catholic Church, who was at St. Louise de
Marillac in Arabi for Katrina where he stayed to weather the storm, offered
an opening prayer, and Council members Wayne J. Landry, Ray Lauga, George
Cavignac, Mike Ginart, and state Rep. Reed Henderson

read aloud names of the deceased listed on the monument.

After a moment of silence in remembrance, President Taffaro helped Hopedale
resident Diane Phillips, who lost cousins Norman and Carol Parr as well as
several friends to Katrina's flood waters, placed a memorial wreath in the
waters of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet. During the laying of the
wreath, St. Bernard Parish Council Assistant Melissa May sang "I Will Rise,"
by Chris Tomlin, an uplifting spiritual song.

Mike Karl, interim director for FEMA's Louisiana Recovery Office, addressed
the crowd gathered and promised FEMA's ongoing support in St. Bernard's
recovery efforts.

Councilman Mike Ginart also offered words of support. "If I could say one
word about St. Bernard, it would be unity," Ginart said. "We can face these
storms together."

Pastor Ben Alderman of Harvest Time Ministries closed the ceremony with
words of encouragement.

In 2008, President Taffaro invited residents to help correct and update the
monument, and Coroner Bryan Bertucci gave an updated list as well. On the
initial monument, several names were misspelled and some names were left off
in the period immediately after the storm when the monument was erected for
the first anniversary in 2006. A corporation donation from local contractor
Unified Recovery Group was used to correct the monument the company
originally sponsored. About 20 names were added and several names of the
initially listed victims were corrected. A few names were removed because
the people originally were listed as missing, but they indeed survived.

Below is a list of the names of the victims as they appear on the memorial
at Shell Beach.

Bertha Acosta

Hollis Alford

Angela Alviar