[StBernard] Hotline set up for concerns about powdery substance released in St. Bernard

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 7 07:53:02 EDT 2010

Hotline set up for concerns about powdery substance released in St. Bernard

by Meg Farris / Eyewitness News

wwltv.com

Posted on September 6, 2010 at 9:05 AM

CHALMETTE, La. -- People in parts of Chalmette, Arabi and the Lower Ninth
Ward woke up to find their neighborhoods were covered in a white powder.

Many were scared to touch it and some even canceled family plans because of
their concern.

People in the Chalmette Vista subdivision quickly realized this Labor Day
would be spent at work, cleaning up their property.

"When I walked back in my house, it was like I had baby powder on my feet
and it left tracks all in my house, and I started coughing and I walked
outside and I noticed it was on everything," said Obbie Carlisle.

"It's all in my air conditioning. My eyes, my eyes started watering last
night and I just took Benadryl and all, but it's all over. I just hosed off
the car and it's still on it," said Myron Kennedy.

"This is everywhere. this is on my grandson's play equipment," said Lori
Gonzales.

A fine white powder blanketed the area. The fire chief's neighborhood was
hit as well.

"It's everywhere. As the cars were going down the street, it looked like
they were on a dirt road with the dust clouds going behind them. I went and
shook the tree branch and it was just like a dust cloud came off of it,"
said Thomas Stone, the St. Bernard fire chief.

Chalmette Refinery says around 2 a.m., there was a power outage. There was
no explosion, only a flare, and despite safety measures that were in place,
there was a release of 2,000 pounds of spent catalyst. The incident caused
several production units to go down.

"Fortunately there were no injuries, and we're operating right now and
meeting our customer needs," said Will Hinson, the Public Affairs manager of
Chalmette Refining, LLC.

The fire chief gave us the material safety data sheet and it clearly states
that catalyst can be an irritant to the eyes and skin. It can be an irritant
if inhaled or ingested. It also states to wear rubber gloves when handling
it and to decontaminate your clothes and shoes before you reuse them or even
dispose of them all together.

But the company tells us that its employees handle catalyst without even
using any protective measures.

"The catalyst is made out of clays that you would find in the ground. As I
say, it is nonhazardous and it is a powder that is used in the refining
process. And you can safely wash it off of whatever it fell on," added
Hinson.

While this material is not regulated as dangerous, people say they have
washed their cars a few times and it is not all coming off. They say when
the wind blows, it stirs up dust clouds that cause the taste of chalk in
their throats.

Now the company says it will take care of the clean up.

"Whatever it takes to help our people, our neighbors out with whatever
they've experienced," said Hinson.

Chalmette Refinery says it has hired a company to come clean people's
property. For more information, you can call toll-free 1-877-657-2833.