[StBernard] Hurricane Katrina: Five Years Later...St. Bernard Parish Growth and Recovery Progress Report--- available on line and local businesses

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 9 00:02:09 EDT 2010

Hurricane Katrina: Five Years Later

St. Bernard Parish Growth and Recovery Progress Report

St. Bernard report documenting progress since Hurricane Katrina available on
website and at local businesses

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. has issued a report
detailing St. Bernard's progress since Hurricane Katrina flooded our parish
August 29, 2005. The report, Hurricane Katrina: Five Years Later. St.
Bernard Parish Growth and Recovery Progress Report is available on the
parish's website at www.sbpg.net and may be picked up at several dozen local
businesses.

"Five years ago, the lives of the residents of St. Bernard Parish were
changed forever," President Taffaro said. "The fabric of our community was
torn and tattered by one of America's most devastating storms in history.
The storm impacted area was reported to be equal to the size of Great
Britain. Our home was facing enormous uncertainty and shock and awe was the
rule of the day. But what makes St. Bernard Parish the unique place it is,
our spirit began to awaken. Stunned and battered, but still very much alive,
the tenacity of St. Bernardians started to show up."

Taffaro said an important part of this forward movement is "the partnerships
with FEMA, GOHSEP, our federal and state delegates, CDM, and the dozens of
contractors and hundreds of sub-contractors whose efforts, together, will
bring over $1 billion in infrastructure work to St. Bernard." To date, this
recovery effort is focused on repairing more than the 50 miles of streets,
building new fire stations, gyms, parks, public buildings, drainage
stations, sewer plants, and levee protection and helping rebuild
neighborhoods.

"Here we are five years later," Taffaro said. "And we find ourselves
sometimes tired, sometimes still frustrated, but often-times on the better
side of our past. We are home. And while we still miss some of those who are
no longer living amongst us, we take comfort in knowing they miss us too,
and truth be told they still miss their home as well. Our growth has led the
Gulf Coast region and the little parish that was oft looked over, has become
the model.

"Our challenges remain many and the road still difficult, but our new and
returned residents are bringing a youthful vitality and strong sense of
renewal. And with every new challenge, and every new obstacle, the stamp of
certainty that has come five years later can be branded as proudly and
boldly as we can - WE ARE HOME!!!"

The brochure that highlights facts and figures and the spirit of St.
Bernard's recovery also will be used to market the parish to new residents
and businesses as well as to tell the parish's story to media from around
the nation and the world as St. Bernard continues to be a model of recovery
in the region.

If you need a copy, please contact Karen Turni Bazile, St. Bernard Public
Information Officer, in the President's Office at 504-278-4227.

###