[StBernard] Re Chalmette Refinery Lawsuit

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 15 19:50:21 EDT 2010

You'd do better and be certain to wash out your gutter cans and hopefully by
now you have washed down your roof, windows, shutters, house, play yard
items, etc. Not certain what to do about gardens, trees and soil.

I think there are better avenues to address the needed changes in our
community starting with re-starting the meetings for the Local Emergency
Planning Commission again and making those public meeting schedules known.
Also, making sure our local officials understand we want more information,
good information and timely information because what happened is illegal and
it has adverse effects on public health. What happened? What was released?
What precautions should the industry take to prevent? What precautions
should we have taken? That is the information which should have been
readily available at 2AM when this occured, instead of residents waking up
and having to find out for themselves.

It is offensive, to me, that our health and safety, and that of our children
and grandchildren, would be considered, by the original poster, as
collateral for parish government revenue, with the implication that local
officials would look the other way and that people should not expect
industry to operate on a more responsible level. One would think ExxonMobil
and local officials equally would take offense with that implication as
well. Are we begging industry to do business here at any costs?

ExxonMobil has been called the richest corporation in the world. In recent
years they were found quilty of over 2,000 violations of the clean air act
in St Bernard Parish. The Chalmette Vista Ambient Air Monitoring station
has some of the highest readings in the State for particulate matter and
sulfur dioxide. When the new standards go into effect, our parish will be
non-attainment for sulfur dioxide, not to mention ozone. Even if one wants
to disregard the offsite effects on those pesky human inhabitants, think
about the cost of lost economic development because of the added cost future
businesses will have in a nonattainment area.

There is a big difference between being a family orientated community which
happens to have a few heavily industrialized companies and being "A Refinery
Town."

--- SJK