[StBernard] Re Chalmette Refinery Lawsuit

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 16 07:49:10 EDT 2010

Oil companies generally act with the attitude that if its their property, they will do with it what they want; even going as far as spending more time trying to discredit the human inhabitants, treating them beneath human dignity and making statements like: “an owner may use
his land or property in any manner he sees fit, provided it is used in a reasonable manner. A
nuisance arises whenever an owner uses his property to cause material injury or annoyance to a
reasonable neighbor.” Some even claim the people who complain about the refineries are not only unreasonable, they are a nuisance to the corporation.
I quess it was ok to demand BP keep their oil out of our Gulf, wetlands and bayous and to clean up and restore the environment. Why isn’t the same decree of responsibility expected from ExxonMobil?
----SJK