[StBernard] 3 candidates vie for St. Bernard Parish School Board seat

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 23 07:48:10 EDT 2010

3 candidates vie for St. Bernard Parish School Board seat
Published: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 9:14 PM Updated: Wednesday,
September 22, 2010, 9:19 PM
Bob Warren, The Times-Picayune

In a contest that appears to have few pressing issues and little heavy-duty
campaigning, three candidates are seeking the open 3rd District seat on the
St. Bernard Parish School Board.

Darleen Asevedo, Rashelle Vandenborre and Louis Wineski III, all first-time
candidates, are vying for the seat Oct. 2. There is no incumbent in the
race. Current 3rd District board member Lynette DiFatta won the 1st District
post unopposed.

The term is for four years. The position pays $600 per month.

Darleen Asevedo

"I think everyone on that board now are shining lights for our recovery from
Katrina, and I'd like to work side by side with them,'' Asevedo said.

Asevedo said she has been a fixture at various school campuses as her two
children progressed through the parish public school system. Her children
are now grown and out of school, but she said children remain a focus for
her.

"All the teachers know me on a first-name basis,'' she said. "I was there
all the time.''

If elected, Asevedo said she would support the current school district
administration as well as advocate for student mentoring programs and
support the district's athletic program, including cheerleading, dance and
other activities.

Rashelle Vandenborre

Vandenborre, who graduated from Chalmette High School last spring, said
schools Superintendent Doris Voitier's speech imploring students to make a
difference spurred her to enter the race. "I know what the issues are,'' she
said. "I know what the students are talking about.''

Vandenborre's platform centers on reducing teen pregnancy and curbing the
dropout rate. She wants the district to tailor programs to reach those
children before it's too late. "I know kids who have dropped out who are
good students,'' she said.

Vandenborre said she hasn't researched the district's dropout rate, but
through her "eyes and ears'' believes it's too high. (District officials
said the district's dropout rate is less than 5 percent, which is among the
better rates in the state.)

Louis Wineski III

Other Vandenborre platforms include hosting career seminars for young
students and having programs to reduce obesity.

Wineski, a physical education teacher and baseball coach at De La Salle in
New Orleans, said his background in education will make him a good fit on
the board. Asked what gives him an edge over the others, he replied, "My
experience in education.''

Wineski said he thinks a greater implementation of technology will help
parish schools. He said the district's computer technology needs to stay up
to date, including programs for parents to communicate with teachers and
check their children's grades online. (District officials said the district
already has such a program.)

Wineski also said the district should continue to push to bring students'
standardized test scores up to the national level and that he would like to
see continuing education for teachers.