[StBernard] Long-term recovery plan for the Gulf Coast is released on Tuesday

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 29 23:57:08 EDT 2010

Long-term recovery plan for the Gulf Coast is released on Tuesday

The Obama Administration released America's Gulf Coast: A Long-Term Recovery
Plan After The Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill on Tuesday. The report was
presented in New Orleans by Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, who was
appointed by President Obama to develop the plan.

The report urges Congress to dedicate a significant amount of any civil
penalties obtained from parties responsible for the Deepwater Horizon oil
spill into a Gulf Coast Recovery Fund to go toward addressing long-term
recovery and restoration efforts in the gulf.

The report recommends continued support for individuals, families, and
businesses to assist them with the claims process, and to give assistance to
communities to identify additional needs. It also identifies a critical need
for health and human services in the affected region and recommends
continued engagement with the nonprofit sector.

It urges a media campaign to be paid for by the oil spill's responsible
parties to restore public confidence in the seafood industry and promote
tourism in the region. The report also examines ways the gulf can take
advantage of opportunities in emerging industries.

The President will sign an executive order as a preliminary step in the
restoration plan, creating a Gulf Coast Ecosystem Restoration Task Force.
This will be led by New Orleans native and Environmental Protection Agency
administrator Lisa P. Jackson.

"We're pleased that Lisa Jackson is going to be a lead," St. Bernard Parish
President Craig Taffaro said of the appointment. "We're hopeful that
Congress may appropriate funds and then reimburse itself from the fines
collected so that the state and local governments can make use of that money
sooner. We will work to have a presence in the process as the legislation is
approved through Congress."

To review the entire Mabus report, click here:

http://www.americaswetland.com/photos/article/092810GCRPv10.pdf.